2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2nd gen headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2021, 01:09 AM
Djlink
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gen headlights

My headlights we’re getting pretty yellow and light output wasn’t much. So I decided to put Sport style headlights in to get separate bulbs and a better spread of light. I ordered set that looked like stock sport headlamps but they are horrible! Low beam isn’t to bad but high beam give a very very narrow band of low light. They are pretty much useless. I put LEDs in but it didn’t help. Has anybody had good luck with an aftermarket set of headlamps. I’m after performance more than looks. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-26-2021, 09:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

What year is your truck? Were the housings you used stock replacements for the sport headlights? Or some aftermarket thing? What bulbs did you use initially?

Old 12-26-2021, 11:15 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Djlink
My headlights we’re getting pretty yellow and light output wasn’t much. So I decided to put Sport style headlights in to get separate bulbs and a better spread of light. I ordered set that looked like stock sport headlamps but they are horrible! Low beam isn’t to bad but high beam give a very very narrow band of low light. They are pretty much useless. I put LEDs in but it didn’t help. Has anybody had good luck with an aftermarket set of headlamps. I’m after performance more than looks. Thanks in advance.
I installed sport headlights in my truck to improve lighting output. To get them to operate with the highest output, I found that I needed to add a headlight relay harness so that both bulbs in each headlight would operate in each headlight on both low beam and high beam, as the stock harness only had a provision for the one bulb style headlight. In addition, the headlights consume a large amount of electricity and tend to fry the weak headlight switches in our trucks, so the relays will take the load off the headlight switch. The relay headlight harness I used can be reviewed here - https://ceautoelectricsupply.com/hea...ion-relay-kit/ - as an FYI, other folks have made their own headlight harness with relays or opted for the harness that LMC truck sells.

Since my truck is a 1996 model, I found that I needed to alter the fender's headlight bucket behind the headlight to accommodate the new sport headlight since it was deeper than the stock headlight. I cut out some metal with a sawzall and the new sport headlight fit fine after that.

I also added Sylvania Silverstar bulbs (9004 and 9007) in lieu of the stock bulbs that came with the aftermarket sport headlights. I can say that the light output for my headlights has improved drastically with the new sport headlights, new headlight relay harness and new bulbs.

Last edited by AtomicDog; 12-26-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-26-2021, 01:36 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Retro fit projectors in clear housings is the only decent upgrade. Plan on doing this eventually.

This is the basic retro fit job start to finish. (couldn't find any second gens)

Old 12-26-2021, 11:05 PM
Djlink

It’s a 2001 and they were aftermarket “sport” that I got from Amazon, don’t remember the brand and I used the bulbs they came with. I’m going to a newer Ram in a few months so going with true projectors is not an option but I still need to see at night. There’s a dozen pick and pull within a hundred miles of here I’ll probably just go with some stock sports.

Old 12-26-2021, 11:25 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Djlink
It’s a 2001 and they were aftermarket “sport” that I got from Amazon, don’t remember the brand and I used the bulbs they came with. I’m going to a newer Ram in a few months so going with true projectors is not an option but I still need to see at night. There’s a dozen pick and pull within a hundred miles of here I’ll probably just go with some stock sports.
Upgrading the headlight wiring harness to relays that have both bulbs on on each side in low and high beam modes help quite a bit even with aftermarket sport headlights. You will need the harness upgrade with whatever style of sport headlights you use going forward.

Old 12-30-2021, 11:30 AM
racerxv6
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

With my 96, I replaced with stock oem style and purchased a set of fahren 60W LED bulbs. I am extremely happy with the outcome. It can be viewed under "what did you do to your second gen today" in the Non-Tech forum here....

Old 01-04-2022, 12:19 PM
KillerLemming
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you install a relay harness? If you just did the cheap harness with no relays it will not work

Old 01-05-2022, 09:48 PM
racerxv6
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerLemming
Did you install a relay harness? If you just did the cheap harness with no relays it will not work
They came with a builtin relay.......

Old 01-06-2022, 02:06 PM
TheDodgeBoi
Amateur

My 1997 1500 has HORRIBLE stock headlights. the lenses are fine, can I just replace the bulbs with something way brighter? I don't really want to re-invent the wheel buying new lights or doing wiring...hoping I can just do bulbs?

Quick Reply: 2nd gen headlights