2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS and Brake light on..

Old 12-03-2010, 09:28 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ABS and Brake light on..

Was coming up my driveway today(long, steep and snowy) and i looked down and noticed i have an ABS and brake light on... Fluid is good, brakes work just fine minus no rear abs any more... Tried to use my code scanner and it couldnt find anything... Any ideas guys? I was playing in 2wd earlier spinning on level ground... could that have freaked the abs out?(but i wouldnt think so with rear only abs...)

Old 12-03-2010, 09:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

It might have. But, as it has nothing to compare the rear wheel speed to, to notice if anything is slipping....... Personally, I think the rear ABS is pretty much useless. I can still lock the rears without even trying. (especially in gravel, or, if its wet.... I think snow is going to be interesting.)

You can try resetting everything, (disconnect the battery for a few) and see if the light comes back, if it does, probably the rear wheel speed sensor flaking out. (in the rear diff.)

Old 12-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the wires and the connection to the sensor that is on the rear differential. If a wire broke, the connector came unplugged, or the sensor has gone bad, you will get those indicators. The sensor is on the rear differential on the side that faces the front of the truck, right above where the drive shaft is.

While I was up hunting, I kicked up a rock that smashed the little metal guard that is supposed to protect that sensor connector. It broke the connector and unplugged the connection from the sensor. My ABS light and brake light both came on. My speedo also stopped working, but that's because that is where it gets the speedo reading from on my '99. On your '96, not sure if it gets the speedo from there or not. Luckily, the connector was still good, it had just come undone. I reconnected it, wrapped it with some tape, put the metal protector back over it, and all is working well again.

My father-in-law's '99 2500 is having the same dash lights. I traced it back, and found that the wires coming off the rear sensor on his axle had been eaten through. He said the dog did it one night when he was tied up in the shop next to the pickup.

Last edited by Silver_Dodge; 12-03-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:37 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks! and ya the rear abs is totally useless. I drive 70% gravel roads out here and snow from oct-may sometime earlier and later... The abs almost never works(even on dry pavement...)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS and Brake light on..