2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lost Driveshaft - Weird Problem

Old 01-14-2011, 12:43 AM
meltravis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost Driveshaft - Weird Problem

Driving down the freeway, all of a sudden, serious vibration, (no warning) 1st thought ... lost a u-joint. Yep, right, but as soon as I get over a lane, to the shoulder, out comes the driveshaft (Aluminum/fiber shaft), without the front yoke (it stayed in the tranny), during Phoenix, AZ rush hour. Luckily ... no Vault! (Seen it happen before, BUT NEVER to ME!)

Okay the problem is ... when the shaft came out, it broke the front yoke (The U that holds one side ot the U-joint). Okay ... get a new driveshaft with the yoke (no problem ... r i g h t!). New yoke won't fit on the output shaft ... reason - the output shaft & splines twisted as well as the yoke, before it broke. Old yoke slides right on. The new yoke will go on about 3/8 - 1/2 in, before stopping. (Yes, they are the same teeth and measurements)

Question: Can the output shaft be changed without rebuilding the tranny?

Last edited by meltravis; 01-14-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:14 AM
meltravis

I do need to add ... the old yoke had no splines, (was smooth inside, made that way) for about 1-1/2 in. before the splines started. The new yoke, had splines starting at the beginning. The measurements were taken with a caliper and if I remember right, were 1.126, OD of output shaft splines to ID of yoke splines (make sense?) I was only able to find 1, single piece driveshaft, out of a '95 Dodge truck, 5.9L, Automatic w/OD, in Phx. (I'm assuming the tranny is a 46RH from what I've been able to find out on here.)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks, Mel

Last edited by meltravis; 01-14-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

You can yank the overdrive unit off, and I think you can change the output shaft in it, without having to do the whole trans. This is assuming a 2wd truck?

Old 01-14-2011, 01:12 PM
meltravis

Yes it's 2 wheel drive ...
The overdrive unit is the back section of the tranny, correct?
Is there alot more to it other than basically just removing the Tail/OD section and swapping out the shaft? My terminologies may not be correct, but I have been into a couple auto trannies for minor repairs. (tho' they weren't Dodge)

Old 01-14-2011, 01:15 PM
meltravis

LOL ... I know it's not that simple, but is it something that can be done in the truck or do I need to pull the trans?

Old 01-14-2011, 01:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

you would have to drop the overdrive section, and completely disassemble it. (to the best of my knowledge) Not a simple undertaking...... but, certainly doable.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:04 PM
meltravis

Thanks, HeyYou! I really appreciate your responses.
I'll have to see if I can find a output shaft. Heck, it maybe about as cheap to get a rebuilt tranny.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lost Driveshaft - Weird Problem