2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I have two challeges for you guys.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 10:05 PM
aarons ram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have two challeges for you guys.

Ok i'll addmit that i haven't put TO much thought into it but i just cant figure these out. I think you guys should know that i was rearended(?) so i have a new bed, hence the questions.

first-- is my tool box. I have no idea how to put one on lol. Also i have no idea how it was on my first bed in the first place, no bolts screws of any sort holding it on. The reason i ask is because one side of my toolbox wont open because the lock is jammed or something? Ive read that you could just drill holes into the box and into the bed and place a bolt in but now you see my problem.

second--I had chrome bars running down the length of my bed, accident happened, they were took off and now of course i want theme back on( the new one) the thing is is that the new bed i have has a bed liner that covers the inner sides as to i can just put the bolts back into the bottom of the bars if that makes sense.

bonus!!--When i put my bed on i wasnt paying attention and the left is further away from the cab then the right side. Would this make it so my tailgate wont close?...cause it won't

The picture is of the bars and the...the..damage

Attached Thumbnails I have two challeges for you guys.-102810120215.jpg  
Old 01-12-2011, 10:09 PM
slider15004x4
Veteran

I would think if you have the bed cocked to one side or the other that it wouldn't allow your tailgate to close or make it very difficult to close at the least. Try involving it slightly and realign it based on measurement from the cab to the bed and make them as close as possible. I'm not going to guarantee that will fix the tailgate problem, but that is a good place to start.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:11 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Toolbox is held in by 2 of the most complicated and exciting fasteners known to man...Gravity and friction.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:22 PM
MedicNathan
Veteran

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Toolbox is held in by 2 of the most complicated and exciting fasteners known to man...Gravity and friction.
Its both highly sarcastic and completely true, I love it!

Is it a drop in or a spray on bedliner?
And if the box is twisted it could very well prevent you from closing the tailgate.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:25 PM
grox
Veteran

I don't see how your toolbox could just sit there with nothing holding it down and not slide around.

Because you said that you had the bed rails, I assume the toolbox sits inside of the bed, and not over the rails?...

Old 01-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Dtruck96
Professional

For your box, undo the bolts to release the tension then try closing the tailgate. They do have a small amount of play.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:31 PM
aarons ram
Rookie

I dont see how it was just friction because when i took the box off it just slide right off. Also it seems to me that the new bed is wider then the orginal, seems to be huge gaps between the box and the bed.

The box does sit on the sides if thats what your asking?

Yea i figureing it is because it opened and closed perfectly before it was put on my truck.

Last edited by aarons ram; 01-12-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:35 PM
slider15004x4
Veteran

Originally Posted by aarons ram
ok i see you guys are replying but i cant see the actual comments??
Probably because you have two identical posts going.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:47 PM
aarons ram
Rookie

I was hoping that wouldnt happen, how do you delete it?

Old 01-12-2011, 10:47 PM
MedicNathan
Veteran

They stay pretty well with just friction. You said it slid right off your old one....

Some tool boxes will have a hook or two to help them hang on, but metal on metal has a rather high static friction, especially if you load your tool box up. and unless your trying to off road with a tool box...

Quick Reply: I have two challeges for you guys.