2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check engine light code help

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:25 PM
RamLoyal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light code help

p 0442Evap Leak Monitor Medium Leak Detected.
i have had this same code for a while now and cant figure out what i need to do to fix it. i am reviving a 2001 ram 1500 5.2 and it sits alot. i just bought a new battery and when it fired up it had no check engine light for about 3 days. just now when i had it on and cleaning the interior, it threw a check engine light on. truck runs at least kinda good, (doesnt overheat and idles as it should) please help with what i should check. i have limited mechanical skills but willing to jump into this truck. Thanks again the only other issues i know of i have a leak in my a/c system somewhere. i need to add freon avery week or 2. have had it looked at by 2 diff mechanics and they just added dye and said they couldnt find the leak and to come back right after a/c stopps blowing cold. (never went back ea time). is there a common issue with this model yr i could check or replace something? also i have the very common cracked dash. i would replace it but dont want to just cover a problem with a cap or replace with a factory one that with just do the same thing. is there an aftermarket dash that is better than the factory? thanks again guys im new to this forum but i like how active this seems to be.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:57 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

check your fuel cap / replace it......check all your vacuum lines, and check your plenum (take off air cleaner, and look down into the throttle body, if you see oil, the plenum is bad.) Regardless your plenum will blow out, its a factory defect on our RAMS

Old 12-11-2010, 12:38 AM
RamLoyal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im planning to do the plenum check tomorrow, i heard that isnt as common a problem in the 2000 and 2001 rams, is that correct?

Old 12-11-2010, 05:59 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's a problem with all of them. Remove the TB completely and look around inside the intake with a small mirror and flashlight. Get a gasket in case the old one gets damaged. Felpro 60958-1

As far as the code goes, make sure hoses from purge solenoid to canister are not leaking and that the canister itself is not cracked.

Quick Reply: Check engine light code help