2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electric fan hookup Q & A

Old 12-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Slomojo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric fan hookup Q & A

I got myself a Electric fan from the junkyard. Fan came from a Lincoln Mark VIII or something like that. In any case, I slipped the Lincoln fan inside the shroud of my Ram and mounted with some bolts like so... Question I have is, what is the best method of having the Fan turn on through a relay? Where would I best be able to draw current for the relay to activate as soon as I turn on the ignition switch? I was thinking that the Ignition coil power cables would be a good place to splice into. Any other suggestions?

Old 12-10-2010, 11:59 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

you want them running consistantly....so what i would do is tap in a hot wire that is powered when ignition is turned on (so they always spin) and put and inline fuse in the wire to take some load off the circuit. so any hot wire....

Old 12-11-2010, 01:03 AM
Slomojo
Veteran

Only wire I know that is always on with ignition is the power cable leading to the ignition coil, but that isn't something I want to steal electricity from. What other options do I have for Hot wires under the hood?

Old 12-11-2010, 01:15 AM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lincoln Mark VIII pull alot of amps,,, i had one

use big grad wire

power right form the battery,, then a relay form the fuse box, to turn the relay on, if you want to fan to turn off when the truck is off,,, i liked mine to cycle

you dont want them to run consistantly,, so you can put they on a switch or and Adjustable Electric Radiator Fan Thermostat ,,,, make sure it can handle the amp load of the fan

Old 12-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Slomojo
Veteran

Thats how i wired it so far, Direct from battery through 50 amp relay to the fan. Relay is activated through current coming from ignition coil power cables. I just dont like the idea of anything other the the ignition coil drawing power from the ignition coil cables. Just kinda stumbled on what to tap into for the relay to power up other then the for sure cure ignition coil power lead. I guess unless someone suggests a specific circuit to tap into thats only powered up on ignition, I'll be doing some testing tomorrow.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:39 AM
Slomojo
Veteran

Yeah.. I was kinda hoping that someone who has done this before would just give a shout out of what worked for them, but the test light will do. Thanks guys.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:39 AM
dodgeram07
Champion

get trouble light and poke around the fuse box and see what lights up when the ignition is on and use that

Old 12-11-2010, 04:16 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

cruise is where i wired mine to it is only on when ignition is on not when acc is on

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electric fan hookup Q & A