2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 03:13 PM
ramthis9501
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument cluster

I am wanting to get a new oem instrument cluster for my truck since the one I have now is kinda screwed up.... thanks to me... anyway, if I get one, will it read the mileage off my truck? I did hear about some chip in it that you have to switch out. Anyone got an idea? Thanks

Old 12-19-2010, 03:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Cluster remembers the mileage. FSM doesn't mention it in cluster section that I can find...... So, not sure how to transfer it.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:58 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramthis9501
I am wanting to get a new oem instrument cluster for my truck since the one I have now is kinda screwed up.... thanks to me... anyway, if I get one, will it read the mileage off my truck? I did hear about some chip in it that you have to switch out. Anyone got an idea? Thanks
What's wrong with it?

Old 12-19-2010, 04:02 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i swapped my 01 cluster due to flakey speedo operation.

the displayed mileage on the odometer stays with the cluster, so if your new cluster reads 50K or 250K, then that's what you'll see, so take note of that when buying a cluster.

when buying a new cluster, match your year range, US Miles vs KM Metric, auto vs standard, tach vs no tach, and pick the mileage you want displayed. if its going to display 220K and you don't want that, then keep looking. i got one on ebay for about $40 or so.

your pcm will ALSO remember the original mileage and continue to add to that. an expensive scanner can display the PCM mileage. no, you cannot alter the odometer display and no, the dealer cannot/will not alter it.

the PRNDL indicator is a plug in module in the back. i assume you can move yours into a non-auto, but i didn't pay any attention to what would be involved.

you can buy a new cluster from the dealer with the correct mileage programmed in, but it'll cost you about a $1000.

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster