2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

remote start

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 12:52 AM
coryjennings03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote start

I got a remote start for my truck that I want to put in. It is the universal system (audiovox prestige aps901 is the brand and model) I was wondering if anyone has done this before and just how tricky it can be. I'm pretty good with electrical but this instruction manual isn't worded the greatest and I am hoping to avoid having to pay someone to do it for me, but will if I cannot figure this one out.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:54 AM
TruckinDodge
Professional

I'm sure it says professional installation strongly recommended. Try http://www.the12volt.com/ to look at the wiring and make sure you understand what wire does what before you start. If you don't feel comfortable with it don't do it. I was very comfortable wiring my van and soldered all my connections but I really took my time and am advanced with electronics.

I would say if you can't expose your wires and figure out what everything is before you cut any wires don't do it.

Also read carefully looking for extras that you might need. An extra length of wire and a ground spring switch to deactivate the remote starter while the hood is open.

Welcome to the forum

Old 12-19-2010, 07:32 AM
coryjennings03

Like I said before, I am very comfortable with electronics and wiring, and I know how to solder. That isn't a big deal. After reading through the manual more last night, there is only one, maybe two wires that I don't know exactly where they go on my truck already and that is the starter output wire, and in case there is a 3rd ignition wire on my truck there is a wire for that if not then all is good. The next step that the manual isn't very clear on yet is programming it. I was also tired last night though so I'll give it another read today. Thank you very much for the advice and the website! Oh and by the way, the kit I got came with the hood pin switch that disables the remote start when the hood is open.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:02 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why do want to disable the remote start with the hood open, it helps when looking for sounds and trying to figure out whats really broke

Old 12-19-2010, 02:03 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought that kit and you also need to get another box to circumvent the security system.

I can think of 100 other things other than a remote start that I would spend my money on. Remote start is not as cool as you think.

It is a big job and they try to get you to buy more components. I returned it the next day.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:26 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

I think my remote start was easily worth the $100 bucks I spent on it, mine also is an alarm too, during the summer I get into a cool truck, i can leave people in the truck and take my keys and not have to worry about it, my remote lets me know if it runs out of time or if it is turned off, lets the motor warm up without have to be sittin it waiting, while im gettin ready in the mornin during the couple weeks of cold ill start it by the time I get there it will be warm and window defrosted.

My remote start is not a cool factor its another tool as far as im concerned

Old 12-19-2010, 02:34 PM
slider15004x4
Veteran

Originally Posted by redheadhunter21
why do want to disable the remote start with the hood open, it helps when looking for sounds and trying to figure out whats really broke
This is a safety precaution so that the vehicle can not be accidentally remote started while you are in somewhere that you can get hurt. The vehicle can be started normally to do any other troubleshooting as you normally would.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:43 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

Kinda hard to troubleshoot underhood noises if you cant start it remotely with the hood open, then you have to phone a friend to start it

I can see it being a safety thing but it wont effect me because i undo battery first and it dont start with no battery

Old 12-19-2010, 04:35 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you could just unplug the switch if you want to start it remotely with the hood open.

Old 12-19-2010, 04:44 PM
slider15004x4
Veteran

Originally Posted by redheadhunter21
Kinda hard to troubleshoot underhood noises if you cant start it remotely with the hood open, then you have to phone a friend to start it

I can see it being a safety thing but it wont effect me because i undo battery first and it dont start with no battery
You can start it with the key, just not with the remote.

Quick Reply: remote start