2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission Shift Problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 12:04 AM
bigboo93
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fixed my problem had to loosen the throttle cable to the trans.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:20 PM
flowmaster199
Default 97 ram 1500 slipping 3rd to 4th

my tanny in my 1997 dodge ram 1500 slips going from third to forth, ive been told it could b the overdrive seliniod kicking it out of gear.... any other opinions??

Old 02-22-2012, 08:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Check fluid level first, in neutral. Don't get an accurate reading in park. If that's ok, drop the pan, see if you find anything interesting in there....

Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 PM
ram 1500 5.9

I've been reading a bit but i have a problem also. last month my tranny went out in my 2000 dodge ram 1500. i just got a rebuilt one and put it in, now this one has shifting problems you put it in drive it will shift 1st gear just fine 2nd gear sometimes at about 2,500 rpms 3rd gear it takes for ever to shift it will hit 4,000rpms and sometimes it will shift just fine. if you take it out of overdrive it will shift alright sometimes. but most of the time if it wont shift into 3rd you put it in gear 2 and go back up to drive it will shift. ive checked the fluid it is okay, ive even replaced the 2 of the sensors with the one out of my old transmission it helped for a little bit but now it seems like its getting worse and worse. I need answers please

Old 10-04-2012, 08:03 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ram 1500 5.9
I need answers please
Be certain that your throttle valve (TV) cable is correctly adjusted. It sounds like you've got it too short.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:13 PM
moparbill

i hava 2000 ram 1500 4 wheel drive 5.9.drives and shifts fine for bout a mile then no forward or reverse. shut it down for couple hours then it does same .please help

Old 10-13-2012, 03:28 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drop the pan and see how much "stuff" is in there.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:00 PM
wesleypickron

I have a 1998 dodge ram 1500 i just bought, I had to add a catalytic converter and two O2 sensors that it didn't have and now when i turn it on i can drive a few blocks and then it doesn't want to shift in to second for about a minute or so then it kicks in and everything is fine. I already replaced what a diagnostic machine told me to it said i needed a new governor pressure sensor and after i replaced it, the trucks still doing the same thing. If any one has any ideas it sure would be appreciated thanks, Wes

Old 10-17-2012, 10:09 PM
garam
Professional

Originally Posted by ram 1500 5.9
I've been reading a bit but i have a problem also. last month my tranny went out in my 2000 dodge ram 1500. i just got a rebuilt one and put it in, now this one has shifting problems you put it in drive it will shift 1st gear just fine 2nd gear sometimes at about 2,500 rpms 3rd gear it takes for ever to shift it will hit 4,000rpms and sometimes it will shift just fine. if you take it out of overdrive it will shift alright sometimes. but most of the time if it wont shift into 3rd you put it in gear 2 and go back up to drive it will shift. ive checked the fluid it is okay, ive even replaced the 2 of the sensors with the one out of my old transmission it helped for a little bit but now it seems like its getting worse and worse. I need answers please
Mine has been doing the same thing in regards to the RPMs and shifting. I cleaned out the throttle body and IAC which helped it to a point. It went to doing it all the time to only doing it after getting down on the throttle for a bit. It got worse again. After I would get off the interstate it wouldn't shift until it reach a high RPM like yours. About three months ago I tried replacing the IAC. The only difference it made was instead of, for example, 3000 or 4000 RPMs it then shifted at about 500 RPMs sooner. In addition to this it would sometimes down shift and make clunk like sound. Also for sometime I thought I had a skip in the motor which became more pronounced and now feels like shutter or hesitation.
Any ways it's in the shop now and the mechanic is suppose to be done with it tomorrow (10/18). He hooked it up to a scanner and drove it with me in it. He experienced everything I have been experiencing and the scanner was indicating the governor pressure solenoid was only putting out 0 - 1. I talked to him today and he said he's replacing the torque converter to be on the safe side because it apparently over heated or something.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:04 AM
garam
Professional

Finally got my truck back today 10/19/12 around 9PM. Some of the issues have improved except for shifting at a high RPM after getting off the interstate. It also appeared to shift to soon into over drive when I got on the interstate. Instead of the misfire like shutter and hesitation it now feels as if some tires are out of balance a little. It all made the clunk like sound when it down shifted after getting off the interstate.
I don't know if they reset the computer / PCM (or what ever you call it) so I disconnected the battery cables when I got home. I'll try to get the tires rebalanced in the morning before work and take it from there. I'll would like to note though I had the tired balanced before to see if that was the problem (which made no difference) and three months ago I replaced two tires and noticed no change.

Quick Reply: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission Shift Problems!!!