2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel filler tube and pocket

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 01:56 AM
lvolson
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel filler tube and pocket

One of the many little things wrong with my truck when I bought it is the fuel filler tube was pretty well rotted. The truck had a full tank when I bought it so I didn't notice anything odd for a couple weeks. My first time filling it up... when I was done, there was a puddle under the truck. I did a minor top-off so I figured "overflow"?

The next time I filled up I kept an eye out (I was too lazy to look under there) and sure enough,it was dripping long before the tank was full! I looked under and saw a rather "holey" tube and I noticed the pocket was broken.

I went to my go-to place... advanced auto parts. They wanted almost $270 for the tube and said they couldn't even get the pocket.

I am happy to report I found a new tube online for about $56. The tube got here within 4 days and looks great. I haven't installed it yet.

I got the pocket for about $23 shipped from dodgeparts.com (I think that was it). It took me forever to find out what that part was even called... filler tube pocket.

On a funny note... we had big snow storm heading our way so I wanted my truck to be usable. I pulled out the old filler... took off as much of the rust I could... put RTV sealer around the holes and covered them with duct tape. I then sprayed the entire thing with "spray on duct tape". I did all this at night... in below freezing temps!

I popped it back in and went to fill up. No leaks! Guess what? No storm either... the farggen thing missed us!

I plan to spray the new tube with undercoating once it's installed.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:01 AM
zje400ex
Captain

That was the first thing I had to replace on my dodge. I think two and a half years ago I paid $100ish for the fuel filler

Old 12-24-2010, 10:03 AM
bardram
Veteran

Originally Posted by lvolson
I am happy to report I found a new tube online for about $56.
Care to share the site where you got this? I need to do the same on my truck.

Quick Reply: Fuel filler tube and pocket