2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What is this? intake air temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Its a scam. Someone paid a bunch of money for a resistor in a box, that 'fools' the PCM into thinking the intake air charge is cooler than it really is, thus, richening up the mixture in OPEN loop mode.

Get rid of it. Doesn't do a damn thing for your engine.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Buellstunter
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this? intake air temp sensor

Does anyone know what this little black box would be attached to what I believe is the intake air temp sensor?

Last edited by Buellstunter; 01-08-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Buellstunter
Professional

Thanks! I assume i just eliminate the box and hook the wires to the same colors that they are hooked to now?Maybe that will help the miss it has when its cold. Just bought the truck. trying to work out the bugs. thanks again.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Don't know if it will do anything about the miss..... Are you getting any codes?

Old 01-03-2011, 05:27 AM
Buellstunter
Professional

When i brought it home on Wed. evening I scanned the computer and it had multiple codes. Didnt write them down just reset the computer to see if they would come back. So far they didnt. I do remember it had a generic misfire code. then had individual misfire codes for cylinders 1-8. the individual cylinder one said "intermitent misfire" .Also had a trans temp code.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:41 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well that little black box will make u waste fuel so take it off

Old 01-03-2011, 10:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Change the spark plugs. Check your cap, rotor/ and wires. I had random misfire codes for all eight..... my distributor cap was rather carboned up..... just changing the plugs made a big difference.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Buellstunter
Professional

Ok, Ill check the cap and rotor. the genius that i purchased the truck from said he changed the plug wires, but didnt change the cap rotor or plugs for some reason.. lol. I changed the plugs the next day after i got it. it had autolite Xtreme performance plugs in it that reminded me of an
iridium plug with the tiny electrode. they didnt look bad at all. But i replaced them with a standard autolite plug gapped at what the manual reccomended. i have cap and rotor to put in, but was tryin one thing at a time to pinpoint the miss/hesitation it has when its cold. it was about 30deg. this morning and between 1dle and 1/4 throttle it would pop and miss till it got warm then run great. has me puzzled to say the least.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Mine pulled that trick for a few feet yesterday.... it was kinda chilly, but, it only did it for a very little bit, when I was first pulling out of the driveway. All of my ignition parts are new...... hasn't done it again yet. might just have been a fluke, or, I may be looking at digging for this one too.....

Old 01-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Clean your TB and IAC. I've had mine do this if I get a lot of fouling on the tip of the IAC sensor or in the idle air passage. It will backfire out the TB and run rough till it warms up.

Quick Reply: What is this? intake air temp sensor