2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 1500 5.9 is dead please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2023, 12:07 AM
04rango
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1999 1500 5.9 is dead please help!!!

Ok so here we go. This one’s got me stumped. Have a 99 1500 with a 5.9 auto 4x4. Started loosing power and now it’s a no start. Everything I’ve checked is good. The guy before me threw all kinds of parts at it to no avail . So mostly all the sensors are new on the engine. I have everything and it still won’t start. I’m getting wet plugs and the only way it even tries to start is if held wot while cranking. I’m sure I’ll miss something in this first post.
. Have cam and crank signal.
. Have good bright blue spark at the plugs.
. Have fuel pressure at the rail right at 50 psi.
. Have injection pulse
. Injectors all ohmed out ok
. Compression is good on all 8 at 150 across all.
. Temp sensors are reading right (about ambient)
when viewed thru the scanner.
. All fuses and relays are good
. Timing seems to be good (guy before changed
distributor)
. Battery is full and checks out good.
. Pulled the timing cover. Chain is worn but it is in
time. (New timing set is ordered)
. Distributor is turning and rotor is where it needs to be
when #1 is up on compression.
. No codes stored.

Old 04-12-2023, 12:39 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

Has the fuel sync been set since the distributor was replaced? If not, this may help -

Old 04-12-2023, 12:47 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 100 Likes on 95 Posts

Did you ever have this running or did you inherit somebody's failed repair project ? It sounds you've got everything needed but maybe not at the right time. Check that the plug wires are going to the right cylinders (learned that the hard way ... ) and then the fuel sync as AtomicDog suggested. Does the engine bark off with the fuel pump relay pulled and some starting fluid in the intake ? That would indicate a fuel sync issue.

Last edited by DerTruck; 04-12-2023 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:49 AM
04rango

I have set the fuel sync as close as possible with the distributor pointed at one on the cap (one on compression tdc) and the mark on the cam sensor lined up with the rotor. I can’t get it to start to even go in and final set it with the scanner.

the plug wires have been confirmed many times and yes with the fuel pump relay out I can get it to run on ether. The second the relay is plugged in it’s like you shut the key off. It’s tricky trying to spray it to keep it running and plug the relay in but was able to do it twice.

also fuel tank is full and the gas that I’ve checked out of the fuel pressure tester looks and smells good. No traces of water or contamination.

Old 04-12-2023, 08:58 AM
04rango

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Did you ever have this running or did you inherit somebody's failed repair project ? It sounds you've got everything needed but maybe not at the right time. Check that the plug wires are going to the right cylinders (learned that the hard way ... ) and then the fuel sync as AtomicDog suggested. Does the engine bark off with the fuel pump relay pulled and some starting fluid in the intake ? That would indicate a fuel sync issue.
no I haven’t had this run yet since it’s went down. It’s my boys truck and the exs boyfriend was the one that started throwing parts at it. So yep I stepped in to try n save my boy some money. The boyfriend got to the point where he wanted to put an engine in it. That’s when he gave up and I had the truck towed to my place. So before all this yes the truck did run it just started to lose power and was acting like it was out of time.

Old 04-12-2023, 09:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

What spark plugs are in it?

Old 04-12-2023, 10:02 AM
aleekat
Professional
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I had a different vehicle one time. I had fuel, spark, compression and spark at the right time. Wouldn't start. Turns out cat blew out and plugged the exhaust. Just a thought.

Old 04-12-2023, 10:41 AM
04rango

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What spark plugs are in it?
it had autolight ap5224 in it was replaced with champions (ugh) rc12lc4 both sets gapped correctly.

Old 04-12-2023, 10:43 AM
04rango

Originally Posted by aleekat
I had a different vehicle one time. I had fuel, spark, compression and spark at the right time. Wouldn't start. Turns out cat blew out and plugged the exhaust. Just a thought.
thought ht this too but it will run on ether so kinda rules out plugged cat. I could be wrong.

Old 04-12-2023, 10:46 AM
04rango

Could the distributor drive gear pop up when the distributor was originally removed? Kind of wondering if this didn’t happen and it fell back in a tooth off. That would put my fuel sync way off. Just not sure (cause I wasn’t there) if the drive gear coulda stuck to the distributor enough to pop it up and out of time?

Quick Reply: 1999 1500 5.9 is dead please help!!!