2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front brakes locking up too easy

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:44 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:Now my question is this: On the 3/4 ton with a full floating rear axle can I get the drums off without removing the axle shafts or the axle bearing nut that holds the hub on? I think it is the Dana 60 axle.

Quote:I know on my other trucks with Dana full floating axles you have to remove the axle shafts and the bearing adjustment nut to slide the whole hub and drum off. However, the axle on this truck takes a 2 9/16" rounded axle nut socket. Nobody in my town sells that type. I could order one, but I didn't want to order it to find out I don't need it to remove the drums anyway.[/quote]

As long as it's a full floater dana then its just as you have said above. remove the axle bolts on the hub, remove the axle, remove the adjusting drum nuts, remove the drum. Be careful of the outer seal on the inside part of the drum.

Last edited by merc225hp; 01-11-2011 at 01:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-11-2021, 05:34 PM
Jmpacheco21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front breaks

Whats up guys. I've got a 1997 12 valve 2500 4x4 and my front brakes are coming on slowly while driving. I've read that if the power steering pump is low, this will happen. Res is right on the line, still doing it. New hydro booster has been installed, still doing it (old booster was leaking) meanwhile, I put new shoes on the rear-golden.

*gentlemen- don't be a fool and beat the living **** out of your rear drums. Work smarter-NOT HARDER! To remove rear drums, take the wheel off, out the truck in a solid set of stands. Run 1 lug nut back on the stud with no wheel. Start the truck, put it in gear, burp the throttle quick then apply the brake pedal rapidly-the drop pops right off. Make sure the lug nut is on far enough that the drum doesnt fly too far out allowing your shoes to pop out past the drum and scattering your spings. Works every time.

Meanwhile, if someone knows any trouble shooting ideas to figure out why my front brakes keep tightening up as I'm driving to the point of catching fire..., let me know please. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Jack up the front of the truck. Spin the wheels, are they free? Step on the brakes, (and let off...) and try again. Still free?? If not, replace the front soft lines.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:03 PM
Jmpacheco21

Wheels only lock up after about 15 minutes of drive time. Bring it in the yard, throw stands under it, they spin freely. Flow from power steering pump to the top of the hydro booster is great. The return is slow drip. Shouldn't it be flowing fairly east back to sump?

Old 12-12-2021, 05:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I believe there is only actual flow when you are stepping on the brake. All it does is apply pressure to a piston, to help you push the pedal. Don't take a lotta flow for that.

Do they still spin freely after you stomp the brakes a couple times?

Old 12-12-2021, 05:16 PM
Jmpacheco21

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I believe there is only actual flow when you are stepping on the brake. All it does is apply pressure to a piston, to help you push the pedal. Don't take a lotta flow for that.

Do they still spin freely after you stomp the brakes a couple times?

They lock up and remain locked until I either put it in gear and push thru it or relieve line pressures. What I did was pulled out the brand new hydro booster out. When the master cylinder is off the booster, went down to the auto parts store I bought it from, got them to overnight me a brand new one as a warranty so when that comes in, (tuesday) I'm going to start from ground zero. When the booster is in, the pedal doesn't come all the way back when connected. It's about a quarter inch from touching the brake light button. I bent that little bracket to accommodate the one I just took out but I think something isn't right with that. Not to mention, that pedal side push rod is not adjustable... let's see if what I thought was no big deal was in fact a big deal....

Old 12-12-2021, 05:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think you have more than one problem there.....

Brake pedal not returning fully is indeed a problem. Hopefully, the new booster will fix that.

Brakes staying locked until you relieve pressure, or push thru, suggests that the front soft lines are indeed breaking down, and restricting flow.

Old 12-12-2021, 05:24 PM
Jmpacheco21

So you think I need nee front soft lines as well? They do have half a million miles one em... where's a good place to order good quality ones from besides a dealer?

Old 12-12-2021, 05:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jmpacheco21
So you think I need nee front soft lines as well? They do have half a million miles one em... where's a good place to order good quality ones from besides a dealer?
With that many miles on 'em?? Yep. WAY past time for new ones.

Parts store will have a selection of lines, of varying quality. I generally opt for the mid-priced fellers, as I expect that they will outlast my ownership of the vehicle. (and I keep 'em for several years, just don't put a lotta miles on 'em.)

Old 12-12-2021, 05:38 PM
Jmpacheco21

Ok. I will get them bad boys coming so by Tuesday I'll have them as well. Thanks fellow brothern of the straight 6. I'll post updates tuesday/Wednesday.

Quick Reply: Front brakes locking up too easy