2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front brakes locking up too easy

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Aaron R.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brakes locking up too easy

1999 4x4 2500 w/cummins & auto tranny.

No brake lights or warning lights are illuminated on the dash.
This has been an issue for the last year and has been getting progressively worse. The front brakes lock up very easily, as if they are getting too much input and not enough input to the rear brakes. It seems worse during wet weather (even touchier, not just because the road is wet).

I have replaced all components of the front brakes and bled all four brakes. While the front brakes had been worn out, the problem persisted after I replaced them. I am waiting on a rear axle nut socket so I can take off the rear drums to inspect them.

Anyone got any other ideas for what could be wrong or should be checked?

Old 01-05-2011, 12:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

I didn't have to do anything with my hubs to get the drums off... did something change between years? They were a bear to get off, but, in the end, the BFH won the battle.

Given that everything up front is pretty much new.... (assuming you replaced the rotors as well?) am going to guess that a fair bit of your problem stems from the rears being out of adjustment. Might wanna give that a go first. It could be just that easy. (the rear 'automatic' adjusters don't seem to be all that automatic....)

Old 01-05-2011, 01:03 PM
bardram
Veteran

This happens to me too after a rain. When I first start the truck and move it, I just tap the brakes and they just about lock up. After that first tap, the brakes are fine for the rest of the day. Only after a rain.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:04 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

could be an abs problem? but you said you have no lights....but it does sound like the abs isnt working.......but my breaks are touchy too, in the morning when i take off and hit the breaks at the bottom of the driveway and can easily make the tires chip, very touchy.....but after having my RAM for 17 months now, im used to it....and i have new breaks all the way around.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:11 PM
2000blkdgdram
Default Same Issue

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 and have the exact same issue. I know when its going to happen and its almost always when you first start the truck. So I ussually get it out of the way and then everything is fine. Its a pain in the *** but from reading on this forum, its a common issue.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My rear brakes would lock up for the first stop of the day when my wheel cylinder blew its seals.
Did you get brake fluid on the new brake pads or did you have brake fluid on the old ones?

Old 01-06-2011, 12:23 PM
94Beater
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had similar issue when the rear brake was not engaging enough. This would lock up the front and wear front brake pads prematurely.
Check your rear brakes, make sure they are adjusted and bleed properly.
Another thing it could be the proportioning valve between master cylinder and the brakes.
It should divide braking power between front and the back and if its bad it could possibly put more pressure to the front than the back.
Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
racerxv6 (12-12-2021)
Old 01-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Aaron R.

I didn't get any brake fluid on the front brakes when I put them in. That was about 8 months ago anyway. I need to get the rear drums off to check the rear pads and adjustment.

Now my question is this: On the 3/4 ton with a full floating rear axle can I get the drums off without removing the axle shafts or the axle bearing nut that holds the hub on? I think it is the Dana 60 axle.

I know on my other trucks with Dana full floating axles you have to remove the axle shafts and the bearing adjustment nut to slide the whole hub and drum off. However, the axle on this truck takes a 2 9/16" rounded axle nut socket. Nobody in my town sells that type. I could order one, but I didn't want to order it to find out I don't need it to remove the drums anyway.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:55 PM
94Beater
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be able to remove just the drum.
From the back of the brakes on the bottom (where usually is rubber plug) there is an adjustment "sprocket".
Loosen the "sprocket" this should bring the two brake shoes together close so you can remove the drum.
Even on the full floaters you should be able to remove drum without removing the shaft.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:28 PM
obiewan kanobe

my son has several dodge trucks as well as i. i had rotors replaced on front of 99 ram also on 86 ram van after they had too many groves worn in. there is a problem in that replacement rotors, as well as some new rotors , may be made with cheaper steel (think china or mexico here) these rotors tend to have surface corrosion very quickly. i have to "test stop" my van or truck after it is wet out or not driven for a while. same goes for the pads, some new ones are inferior to stock pads , and may hold moisture....a few stops will dry them out. if you let a car/truck sit for too long, the whole brake system will be trash . BTW...if you let your truck set for weeks at a time.....don't set the parking brake, chock the wheels. tightened brakes for long periods can distort the drums.

Quick Reply: Front brakes locking up too easy