2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rebuild my 5.9

Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 PM
TwistedCage
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rebuild my 5.9

i have been researhing on weather i should rebuild my motor. I found a shop that would do the Labor for $500. I still dont know how much on avg it would cost to have the block, heads, crank and all machined. I have priced all but pistons and rings, lifters. and looking at like $900. maybe some one on here that has done a rebuild can tell me how much it cost the DIY or in shop. and a rang on parts they did looking to be more infomed? Thanks john

Old 01-05-2011, 10:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

I have rebuilt several motors.... but, none that I was actually paying for out of my pocket..... also bear in mind, these motors were going to be either high performance, or heavy duty applications, so, we tended to err on the side of overdoing it......

But, JUST in parts, and machine work, not including some of the go-fast goodies that you aren't going to want... (dual four barrel manifold for instance....) The low side was about 2 grand, high side? Over 24,000......

Problem is, price of shop time varies a LOT just by driving a few miles. I actually got BETTER deals, driving 30 miles to toledo, to have my machine work done there..... And different shops have different pricing schemes for what all they do as well...

In all reality, it may actually end up being cheaper doing with an 'assembly line' rebuilt motor, than doing it yourself. It also has the advantage of having a warranty.

On the other hand, if you do it yourself, you will know EXACTLY what has been done, what parts have gone into it, and the quality thereof...

Find a machine shop in your area, or, within a reasonable driving distance....... and ask em what they would charge to clean up your block, check everything out, bore, hone, align bore, etc etc etc. (they probably have an a la cart menu you can pick and choose from..... getting everything measured out to see what needs to be done is a must.) And take it from there.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:27 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for what it's worth, I second HeyYou on the crate.. I priced a 5.9L Magnum a few weeks ago @ $1800 for a long block.. that was to OEM specs.. Iron Ram heads, and a few other goodies brought it to $2200..

but, here is where I lose traction so to speak.. the same config in 408 was $3800 base.. I just don't get that at all..

anyway, back on point: Crate from someone with a good rep and affixed warranty is a good gig.. You can use your old engine as a bargaining tool with a garage to install your new engine.. just something to think about..

Old 01-05-2011, 10:39 PM
TwistedCage
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I could DIY it but when I got my head split open on the job in 2009 and lost my job because of it I had to sale my tools to keep paying the bill and buy my sons diapers. I don't have any friends around that has the tools to do it with. So all I really can do is pay to have it done for me. Or buy the tools but that would put me way over budget to do the job cause I am still not working.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
for what it's worth, I second HeyYou on the crate.. I priced a 5.9L Magnum a few weeks ago @ $1800 for a long block.. that was to OEM specs.. Iron Ram heads, and a few other goodies brought it to $2200..

but, here is where I lose traction so to speak.. the same config in 408 was $3800 base.. I just don't get that at all..

anyway, back on point: Crate from someone with a good rep and affixed warranty is a good gig.. You can use your old engine as a bargaining tool with a garage to install your new engine.. just something to think about..
The 408 needs rather extensive machine work to clear the larger crank, and make sure the rods don't hit the oil pan rails. Not to mention the crank isn't precisely stock... so, they are just a bit expensive.

Try just pricing the crank/rods/pistons for a 408 conversion. The price is scary.

Originally Posted by TwistedCage
I wish I could DIY it but when I got my head split open on the job in 2009 and lost my job because of it I had to sale my tools to keep paying the bill and buy my sons diapers. I don't have any friends around that has the tools to do it with. So all I really can do is pay to have it done for me. Or buy the tools but that would put me way over budget to do the job cause I am still not working.
In that case, find a shop that you trust, or, someone you trust will recommend, and have them price you out a motor swap. Most places will even give you a price for a used motor...... but, if you specify you want a new one, they will do that as well, and probably have their company they like to deal with. Or, you can just order the motor you want, have it shipped to the shop..... and THEN have them swap it.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:10 AM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drewactual

the machine work ALONE on my 408 was $3500, that of course includes some head porting. rotating assembly was $1500, heads were $900-NOT CHEAP! i found an awesome deal though.

may or may not have already referred you to this guy. 5 yr warranty and i actually e-mailed quite a few people who have purchased from him, all gave him 5 stars

Old 01-06-2011, 09:04 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mmmm... I dream of the day I have a 408 stroker ...a cummins for that matter... off to buy more lottery tickets!!!

Old 01-06-2011, 11:19 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just found this for a 408 SHORT block:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/mopar...item588990067e

This is making me think. Hmmmmm.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:51 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i actually was talking to that guy before i found my 408.

i cant wait to get it up and running with a built trans

Old 01-06-2011, 11:56 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am probably going to wait for my tranny to go before I go 408. If my tranny goes, I will get a PATC. Then why not spend an extra 4,500 on a new engine. I already have 24# injectors.

But the tranny is doing great at only 50K miles. So it will probably be a while.

--Dan

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rebuild my 5.9