2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Fluid Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:39 PM
pduffey8709
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anybody heard or experience tranny lines breaking right at the metal fittings. iv already gone through 2 hoses the ones that autostores order you fit but later on break. is it the type of hose or something to do with my pressure in the transmission?

Old 01-23-2011, 03:06 AM
candymancan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G&L01
Uh oh.... I'm seeing all these warnings about making sure you use ATF+4. I'm pretty sure I put plain ol ATF in mine...

Originally they called for ATF+2, but ATF+4 is a better fluid to give your transmission longer life.

Anyway when i drained mine and replace the filter it took about 6 quarts. Its been cold out and the level was ok when i was driving around, but the other day it was around 50f and after checking it then when i drove around the level right on the max on the ok line. So i might have to drain some out. I found the best way to drain the fluid without taking the pan off or sucking it out the fill hole is to take off the transmission speed sensor. When you take that sensor off it drains like a cup of fluid. Put then sensor back in start the engine let it run for awhile and take the sensor off and drain another cup and that should be about a quarter/half a quart of ATF.

Sadly i never thought about putting a drain plug on my pan, but I might have it done this summer because my transmission has been shifting kinda hard from 2-3 so i need to take the pan off again and check the solenoids and replace them to see if that fixes it or not.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid Capacity