2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyone looking for tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:23 PM
hiusmell
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone looking for tires?

I've recently been looking for tires for my truck (285/75 16) and the cheapest "good" tire I found was Nitto Terra Grapplers form discount tire direct they were $683.03 with free shipping. So I went to a couple other companys with price match and i was talking to one of the reps through email and I asked why they cant match and heres what i got back
SOME COMPANY MIGHT BUY 10 MILLION DOLLARS
WORTH OF NITTO TIRES AND I MIGHT BUY 1 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR, THEREFOR THEY ARE GOING TO BE ABLE TO SELL TO THE CUSTOMER AT A BETTER DEAL, WE HAVE THOUSAND OF COMPANYS THAT WE BUY FROM AND WE CANNOT BE DIRECT WITH EVERY COMPANY, NOBODY CAN THERE R TO MANY, SO THAT IS WHY THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS, DISCOUNT TIRE IS BEATING EVERYBODY ONLINE RIGHT NOW ON NITTO TIRES, MINE
ONLINE ARE PRICED BETTER THAN PROBABLY 99 PERCENT OF THE COMPANYS ONLINE, NITTO IS AWARE OF HOW CHEAP DT IS SELLING THEM AND IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE CORRECTED, SO AT THIS POINT IF YOU CAN GET FROM THEM AT THAT PRICE WITH FREE SHIPPING I WOULD JUMP ALL OVER IT. THANKS

So I just decided to let you guys know if your looking for tires discount tire direct has nitto REALLY cheap.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:38 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool, now take that out of all caps, throw some punctuation in there, and maybe we'll be able to read it.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:55 PM
hiusmell
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't have CAP LOCK on it was the guy I copied and pasted the quote from the email....I'm just tryin to help

Old 01-13-2011, 08:42 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

huh...

anyway:

I don't have anything to add about DT or the Nitto's, but it's been my experience that Sam's is dang hard to beat for prices- albeit their selection is limited.. UNLESS- you shop sams.com.. They will deliver and set up install p r e t t y dang cheap..

I bought my Cepek's through thetirerack.. I think they were 3 benji's apiece.. Their prices are good for 'specialty' type tires..

I think Sam's had GY AT/S 275/65/R20's load range E on sale a while back for around $150ea.. that is a good tire... I got 50k+ miles out of one set, and 15k out of another before going to 35"s.. I never came close to getting stuck with them, but we're talking tank trails and old logging roads here, and not mud, snow/ice, or trailing.. I'm thinking the 16"s are a little less.. I rec 'em..

Old 01-14-2011, 11:06 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

www.treadwright.com... great prices and they have serveral tread choices... don't shy away from re-treads.. they can save you a lot of money and are just as safe as new I got 4 "BFG All Terrains" 265's for less than $400 shipped to my door with a 2 year 24,000 warrenty

Old 01-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Big Guz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, didn't know you could get re-treads. I'll have to look in to that

Old 01-14-2011, 04:57 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

retreads today are nothing like they were in years past.. they were basically glued to the casing then, they are bonded at a molecular level (chemically) now.. At least the better ones are.. You can get 100% the tread life out of one now you could the original tire.. For road treads anyway.. Aggressive treads, not so much..

Old 01-14-2011, 09:33 PM
ontimeanthony
Rookie

www.treadwright.com... great prices and they have serveral tread choices... don't shy away from re-treads.. they can save you a lot of money and are just as safe as new I got 4 "BFG All Terrains" 265's for less than $400 shipped to my door with a 2 year 24,000 warrenty __________________
That's interesting. I didn't know you could use re-caps on steer tires for a non-commercial vehicle. On our box trucks and tractors using recaps on the steers is a big no no.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:08 AM
Polishdog
Amateur

I'm will be looking for tires for my '99 also - currently running P265/70R-16.
I was wondering what the tallest tire I can run in a 16" would be. Can anyone run help?
From P265/70 it goes up to P265/75, then what? They don't make a 275/75R?

Old 01-15-2011, 07:26 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the most common sizes are 225, 245, 265, 285. some tires brands are available in the in-between sizes, some are not (or hard to get, or more expensive).

about the largest tire you can run on a stock 4wd with no lift and no rubbing is a 285/75/16. 2wd might be a little less. rubbing on control arms would be caused by the wider width (285+) rather than the height ratio (70 vs 75).

here's one of many tire size calculators.
http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

Quick Reply: Anyone looking for tires?