2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sick of my Auto Tranny, can I put in a manual.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:32 AM
dodgetruck2
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I know the 360 97 and back WAS NOT offered with a manual, it is not listed in my owners manual as an option. but there was a big switch in 98 so maybe then it was offered.

I had a guy call me saturday, he is parting out a 2500 5.9L, he just needs the motor. He said it runs and drives great, but he was the motor for a project car. He would sell the the Tranny, 4x4 Transerfercase, and any other parts I want to take for $300 (clutch pedal, stick, ect). I double checked with him twice to make sure I had all that information correct. He said there is 100,000 on the truck. The only problem is the exterior had a bang up with a pole or something he said.

If I stay with an auto I am putting in whatever they give me since its free, I spent 2600 bucks already on a new one not 2 years ago.

I decided I am putting the auto in for now. Its free and if I do the swap I can sell the new auto and transfer case and pay for some of the swap costs.

Two big questions I still have not got answered that are the big hold up on this project. #1 Electrical wiring, is it all the same or will I need to do some wiring. I know there shouldn't be much with the manual but there will be some. #2 Drive shaft, some say it needs to be shortened others say it will be fine the way it is.

Also, my transmission guy said you would have the change the PCM's, what does that stand for and do I need to worry about it, or is he just giving me some professional BS.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

PCM = Powertrain Control Module.

I don't know if they are significantly different between autos, and manuals, but, the programming certainly is. If you want to score all the parts off of the potential donor truck, and save them 'for a rainy day'.... Grab the PCM, wiring harness, trans, t-case, driveshafts, (if the truck is the same bodystyle/bedlength as yours) and anything else you think you might need..... plus some other stuff, just because.

Year of the donor truck IS going to make a difference here, do you have that information?

Old 01-24-2011, 07:32 PM
dodgetruck2
Captain

I just talked to him today and asked what he wanted for the whole truck. He said for $300 I could take the whole truck. He just wants to get the motor. He said I could have the computer and whatever he basically just wants the plain jane block. Its a 94 regular cab longbox.

The only problems that he mentioned are the drivers door is smashed and the box is gone. Hopefully I can get over to look at it this week but I would have to be dead not to take a deal like that.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

PCM and wiring harness off that one won't work for you. His is OBDI, yours is OBDII. However, it does have all sorts of other cool stuff you could yank.... axles for instance.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:01 PM
dodgetruck2
Captain

Do I need the PCM and/or computer switched or will it work without it.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:49 PM
dodgetruck2
Captain

Just got off of ebay looking at PCM's they look like they will be about 250 for a good one with warranty. Will one for a 96 2500 manual besufficent or what one should I get.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 PM
dodgetruck2
Captain

Just found a company that would reprogram mine for $125 plus shipping. Would this be a better route?

Old 01-24-2011, 09:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it is possible to reprogram a auto trans PCM, for use with a manual trans...... Trouble is, you need the wiring harness as well.

I would have a chat with the dealer about differences in manual/auto PCM's, if there are any..... one would hope they would be the ones to know...... Looking at the PCM connector pinouts in the 01 service manual....... it really doesn't appear the PCM gives a rats behind about anything having to do with the clutch being pressed in, or any other things concerning the manual trans. I suspect that you could just reflash your pcm....... and not even worry about the wiring harness.......

You will have to do something creative for a clutch/starter interlock, and backup lights.......

Old 01-24-2011, 09:17 PM
dodgetruck2
Captain

If anyone is interested in some parts of this truck let me know. I am pretty sure I will be buying it whether or not I do the switch.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

what does the drivers seat look like.

Quick Reply: Sick of my Auto Tranny, can I put in a manual.