2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0420 Code...New cat questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 11:09 PM
rideordie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0420 Code...New cat questions?

Ok. I was driving around and randomly my CEL comes on. I pull over, check it out, and its the 0420 code...Soo I have a few questions.

I had thought my cat was bad for a while, and figured I'd just buy a new one, but wanted to wait until I was pretty sure. Now would be the time I guess. What cats will work decent and still be reasonably priced? I can't afford to spend $500 on one right now, so cheap is good. But on the other hand I don't want to have to buy 3 more after this.

What would you guys recommend? Will I need to run an o2 simm to have the computer not be fussy (I'm reading lots of problems as I search about this..)? How much are they?

Old 05-20-2010, 11:23 PM
bigslick050
All Star

If can get a nice high performance cat for around $200 or a cheapo for 80-100 + labor. Or just gut the cat and straight pipe it. Very noticeable power gains, however the same CEL will trip. P0420. If you have a programmer you can clear the code and won't come back for a while... I hope. I just gutted my cat a month ago. Two weeks into it, that code came on and I cleared it, and hasn't tripped on again. Not to say that it won't, only been two weeks since I cleared it

Old 05-20-2010, 11:27 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by bigslick050
If can get a nice high performance cat for around $200 or a cheapo for 80-100 + labor. Or just gut the cat and straight pipe it. Very noticeable power gains, however the same CEL will trip. P0420. If you have a programmer you can clear the code and won't come back for a while... I hope. I just gutted my cat a month ago. Two weeks into it, that code came on and I cleared it, and hasn't tripped on again. Not to say that it won't, only been two weeks since I cleared it
I don't really want to gut it/straight pipe as we have emissions here, and it's going to be a PITA later. Would rather just put a new one on.

What part #s are you guys running? I tried searching but found so many differerent ones, I don't know what to get. Will a universal work fine?

Old 05-20-2010, 11:30 PM
bigslick050
All Star

Yes univeral's work fine so long as you are using the correct inlet and outlet diameter to match up your pipes

Old 05-20-2010, 11:36 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah get a universal, your cat is a 3inch si/so you want magnaflow 94000 part # i love mine and alot of people will say how much they like theres too , noticible power and better sound

were known for clogged cats my cousins 98 is clogged and been trying to get him to get a highflow too lol

Old 05-21-2010, 02:26 AM
Mowhawk
Record Breaker

you want a 99069HM. Its the heavy metal version of magnaflows 3in/3out cat. Universal fit, and its around 100. You want to get the heavy metal due to the ethanol in gas, the eth. has been messing up a few cats on these rams. Do search on the forum here, ull come up with some things about it. Off the top of my head, Myself, Squirrels, and I think Jason have had that problem. The 99xxxx will take care of that. The 069 has two bungs for o2 sensors incase youd like to throw in guages or anything in the future. Comes with a bung plug if you dont.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:20 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by lastrights
yeah get a universal, your cat is a 3inch si/so you want magnaflow 94000 part # i love mine and alot of people will say how much they like theres too , noticible power and better sound

were known for clogged cats my cousins 98 is clogged and been trying to get him to get a highflow too lol
yeah, I've thought I was clogged for a while, just was waiting for the CEL pretty much lol. I think I'll notice a significant difference in power for sure.

Originally Posted by Mowhawk
you want a 99069HM. Its the heavy metal version of magnaflows 3in/3out cat. Universal fit, and its around 100. You want to get the heavy metal due to the ethanol in gas, the eth. has been messing up a few cats on these rams. Do search on the forum here, ull come up with some things about it. Off the top of my head, Myself, Squirrels, and I think Jason have had that problem. The 99xxxx will take care of that. The 069 has two bungs for o2 sensors incase youd like to throw in guages or anything in the future. Comes with a bung plug if you dont.
Yeah, I noticed the problem with people needing new ones repeatedly..thats mostly why I asked really..was hoping I could find a solution to that.

The 069hm is 3in/3out correct? The same as what is on my truck?

I'm thinking I'll probably have a shop do it, because I don't have a welder (some friends do), and I would rather it be done right and that. I got a reputable shop to give me a bid, and IIRC it was ~$50 in labor. He said I can buy whatever cat I'd like and he will put it on, but he will not guarantee it unless it is his cat. He said he uses AT cats (anyone ever hear of anything?). If I use my cat, there's no warantee. If I use his, it's only $150 total (cat/labor), and I get a 1 year/1 free replacement warantee.

Would you guys buy the 99069hm or use his cat and get a warranty? I don't believe there is anything wrong with my engine that would ruin one. My plenum looks spotless through the butterflies, and I don't lose any oil at all.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:46 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Regardless of which cat you get you have the mag warrenty.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:52 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
Regardless of which cat you get you have the mag warrenty.
True.. So I guess I'll get the 99069hm one then and have it put on. Thanks guys

Old 05-22-2010, 01:28 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yup i have meinikie install mine for like 60 buck, alot of people dont get cel for cats

i know my cousins is clogged just because of the hugs power loss he as and the noise its making and his exhaust sonds like total S&it

Quick Reply: P0420 Code...New cat questions?