2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

still burning oil after plenum fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:05 PM
cummins1234
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still burning oil after plenum fix

ok its a 97 ram 2500 360 has 193,000 miles. well the plenum gasket had been leaking for awhile now and i finally got to fixing it witch slowed the oil comsumtion but still using alot. im talking dang ner a case in about 3-400 miles since the new plenum gasket. hard to beleve but it was worse before the gasket was fixed. i have checked and replaced the pvc valve and did not see any oil in the hose or in the hose that goes to the air box. its not leaking that much oil i mean the under side should be totally covered by now and its clean under there. so im thinking it needs rings. but heres the kicker it dont blow blue smoke it dont smell like oil.

so what ya think? its got me stumped. is there any thing els on these motors im missing that could let oil in to be burned or should i asume it needs rings? also the truck has lots of power way more then i thought it would have. it will still spin the tires threw 2nd with no problem on dry pavement witch seems odd if its low on compression anough to burn that much oil. thats why i think im missing something els.

really making me want to go back to the 70s dodge pickups and not worry about this kinda crap.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:23 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

really making me want to go back to the 70s dodge pickups and not worry about this kinda crap.
Old trucks burn oil too.

How does the compression check out

Old 02-02-2011, 09:53 PM
cummins1234

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Old trucks burn oil too.

How does the compression check out
yes old trucks can burn oil to but not because of a plenum gasket. witch is why it pisses me off puting all that work and money into this POS just to still burn oil. i wouldnt have this delema with the older 360 and not the amount of money invested ether.

i havent done a compression check yet. its to dang cold out lol and if no one comes up with a solution other then rings im gona sell it and buy a older truck. it also wont start in the bitter cold like this morning witch is anether problem that helps the idea of geting rid of it. so im at the point if it does need a rebuild im not fixing any more selling it and buying an older truck with cash in my pocket to spare.

if i was to buy anether truck this year its only gona end up with the plenum problem and if i buy a used engine im gona end up with the plenum problem so its a loose losse in my eyes i guess. if its a ezy fix (witch i dont think so) i will fix it and keep it.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:06 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

But you said your plenum gasket wasnt leaking? Now why do you say the oil consumption is from the plenum gasket? Other things can cause that.

I'd love to drive a restored '67 International pickup or a '72 Chevy C-20 or a '71 Duster everyday, but I dont.
I really think the '72 Chevy would look good pulling my grandpa's '47 Ford 9N and my future '68 Cub Cadet 127

Last edited by PurplDodge; 02-02-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:20 PM
cummins1234

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
But you said your plenum gasket wasnt leaking? Now why do you say the oil consumption is from the plenum gasket? Other things can cause that.

I'd love to drive a restored '67 International pickup or a '68 Chevy C-20 or a '71 Duster everyday, but I dont.
no no no your miss understanding or im miss explaing. im sure the plenum was leaking before i fixed it. i really dont think thats what it is now. no signs of it leaking any more. also it is using less then before the plenum fix but still way to much.

the older truck idea would be somthing in the 70s i can still find them around here running and driving around. that use to be all i drove till i bought my 99 with a diesel. this 97 was bought to be a back up if the diesel ever would break down (hasent happend yet in 4 years now) and a 4x4 for the wife to drive in the winter but so far since we bought it. it has allways had a problem and every time i fix one anether has come up. i have never had such a pita truck before and had great luck drive them back in the 70s.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:32 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

sounds like you should sell it and find a 98 silverado. lol those 350s are dependable as hell!

Old 02-02-2011, 10:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Replace your PCV valve with one from the dealer. Watch oil consumption decrease dramatically.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:39 PM
cummins1234

Originally Posted by 99dodge318
sounds like you should sell it and find a 98 silverado. lol those 350s are dependable as hell!
yea i dont think i wana deal with the chevy and there intake gasket leaking and the distributor problem they have. just did one on my buddys and that is harder then working on this 97 dodge.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:41 PM
cummins1234

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Replace your PCV valve with one from the dealer. Watch oil consumption decrease dramatically.
yea thats what i have read before and tryed it. from napa and the dealer. no luck.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Do a wet/dry compression check. Wonder if your rings are going bad.......

My truck burned three quarts of oil a week, you would think it would smoke like a diesel, but, it didn't...... fixed the plenum, and that reduced the consumption, swapped the pcv valve, and that all but eliminated it.

Quick Reply: still burning oil after plenum fix