2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Brake problem, huge problem! 2001 Ram

Old 05-24-2015, 01:05 PM
willh4th
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I rest the Proportioning Valve??

Originally Posted by HeyYou
ABS light will come on if the switch in the proportioning valve trips. (I.E. Loss of pressure on either circuit, front/rear) Which is what turns on the brake light in the dash.... (if it isn't an ABS related problem..... they made that one nice and confusing.)

The brake pedal is harder to press when the engine isn't running, as you don't get any vacuum boost.

I wonder if you didn't blow out the rear brake line above the gas tank.
I just replaced all the lines on my 01 dodge ram sport. Now my ABS light is on and have no fluid getting past the proportioning valve. How do I reset that valve???

Old 11-03-2015, 08:20 PM
locolonghorn
Default just a shot

so I changed my master cylinder and the break light and abs light stayed on, dealership had no idea why, I then figured out that the master cylinder is an oem part and instead of spending 450 dollars on a master cylinder at the dealer I went to a pick and pull and spent 40 dollars, keep in mind you will probably have to bleed all four calipers to get the sponge feeling out of the break because disconnecting the master cylinder you are taking off the front and rear break line, I did this and the light went off and breaks work fine, remember the kicker is oem dodge part and can get one cheap from a pick and pool or online, worked for me

Old 11-03-2015, 08:22 PM
locolonghorn

you may have to take it to the dealer or someone with a drbIII scanner to purge the abs module to push the air out, sometime if air gets in there that is the only way to get it out, they charge between 60-80 dollars to do it

Old 08-26-2021, 07:08 PM
act12090
Default I just went through the same

Originally Posted by andysam
The truck:
2001 Ram 1500
5.2L engine
2 wheel drive
Rear ABS only
Front disk, rear drum

My truck was braking fine, but brakes started whining. Took a look and one brake pad was worn down. Upon further investigation, the caliper had seized up. So, I replaced the calipers with brakes and calipers from Kragen/Oreily.

Everything looked great. I bled the front brakes with a buddy the old fashioned way; him pumping the brakes and me opening and closing bleeder valve appropriately. Brake pedal felt firm.

Turned on the truck and the red brake light came on and the abs light too. The brake pedal went straight to the floor with little resistance. The back brakes are working pretty good, not sure if it is perfect or not though. I dont think the front brakes are working at all though.

I then used one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Motive-Product.../dp/B000Q6QWSC
to bleed the brakes. same thing.

Then I brought it to a shop. They bled it with 2 guys pumping the brakes the old fashioned way too. They bled the MC and all four brakes. Then the same thing happened, the pretty firm brake pedal went to mush when you turn on the engine. They said that it must be the master cylinder. I didnt think so because everything was fine before I changed the brakes and calipers. Well, I changed the master cylinder anyways, bled the brakes and the problem is still there.

What gives????

Is there a special way to bleed them? Why did the abs light come on if it is only on the rear brakes and I didnt open the rear brake circuit (at first).

hi Hey have u tried replacing the dials that are in the cylinder I just had that same thing happen to me im about to go bleed them now my phone # is 832 960 8746 if u didn’t figure it out im andrew btw

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake problem, huge problem! 2001 Ram