2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bubbles coming from Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 08:36 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts
Default Bubbles coming from Master Cylinder

Ok so I finally added the rear self adjusters to the rear drum brakes. Well they might be out of adjustment and I'm getting air in the master cylinder. If I remove the cap and someone presses the brakes it shots the fluid up from the air. Could the rear brakes being out of adjustment cause this?
EDIT: It's the rear reservoir which means front brakes, but I did not touch them.

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 11-05-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Fluid shooting up when you step on the brake is normal. The piston retracts far enough that fluid can fill the chamber the piston uses. The piston will actually suck fluid out of the reservoir when you let your foot OFF the brake, so, there is that short stretch of travel where the piston is attempted to build pressure (when you step on the brake) that the port to the reservoir is still open, and fluid does what fluid does. It follows the path of least resistance.

That said, you should NOT be seeing air bubbles there. That implies a bad seal somewhere. (likely the master itself.)

Old 11-05-2018, 11:05 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Default Problem solved

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Fluid shooting up when you step on the brake is normal. The piston retracts far enough that fluid can fill the chamber the piston uses. The piston will actually suck fluid out of the reservoir when you let your foot OFF the brake, so, there is that short stretch of travel where the piston is attempted to build pressure (when you step on the brake) that the port to the reservoir is still open, and fluid does what fluid does. It follows the path of least resistance.

That said, you should NOT be seeing air bubbles there. That implies a bad seal somewhere. (likely the master itself.)
Thank you Bryan! (Hope you don't mind me calling you that) I have been wrenching for 15 years and never had the cap off while pumping the brakes, usually doing things myself. I happen to have a buddy this time. Turned out the rear needed bleed because they needed adjusted way out. I guess you truly do learn everyday. What was happening is the fluid moving around was causing bubble which I thought was air. I was worried because I didn't touch any of the brake lines. Thanks again I really appreciate it . Now on my way to Detroit for work

Old 11-06-2018, 08:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Thank you Bryan! (Hope you don't mind me calling you that) I have been wrenching for 15 years and never had the cap off while pumping the brakes, usually doing things myself. I happen to have a buddy this time. Turned out the rear needed bleed because they needed adjusted way out. I guess you truly do learn everyday. What was happening is the fluid moving around was causing bubble which I thought was air. I was worried because I didn't touch any of the brake lines. Thanks again I really appreciate it . Now on my way to Detroit for work
Brian with an "i".

Detroit? You are going to be within spittin' distance of me. Should come by for a visit, if you have the time. (I am about 80 miles west of detroit.)

Old 11-06-2018, 12:02 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Brian with an "i".

Detroit? You are going to be within spittin' distance of me. Should come by for a visit, if you have the time. (I am about 80 miles west of detroit.)
Well Detroit is my 3rd stop! If I do have the time I'll definitely stop. You can see my truck that is named "The Mut" for obvious reasons

Old 11-07-2018, 09:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well Detroit is my 3rd stop! If I do have the time I'll definitely stop. You can see my truck that is named "The Mut" for obvious reasons
Sounds like a winner.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:11 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Sounds like a winner.
Hey you I got a question for you. I have about 3 days downtime and want to wire in an aftermarket fuse box. What is the best way to make some of them switched power? Tap into the ignition wire?

Old 11-07-2018, 06:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Use a relay to provide power to the aux fuse box, have it draw power direct from the battery, and use one of your switched ignition feeds to control it.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:16 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Use a relay to provide power to the aux fuse box, have it draw power direct from the battery, and use one of your switched ignition feeds to control it.
Forgot about relays... It's been a long day

Old 11-07-2018, 07:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Forgot about relays... It's been a long day
Happy Wednesday. Third Monday of the week.

Quick Reply: Bubbles coming from Master Cylinder