2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

440 Six Pack, 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 ...

Old 03-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Smashed-And-RAM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 440 Six Pack, 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 ...

I've been looking into doing this ever since I bought this truck. I've got a 440 Six Pack sitting on the engine stand just waiting to be dropped into something. I did some preliminary measurements and it seems that the only thing I would really have to do is get custom motor mounts, drive shaft, and depending on the transmission, a custom transmission cross member. Does anyone know if the A727 TorqueFlite transmission will bolt to the stock cross member? I figure I could move the engine forward a little, and since it's basically the first generation of the 46RE, I think it should fit pretty well. The A727 will fit behind the 440 since that's the trans that sat behind it anyways. I know I'll have to figure out something with the gauges, but I've got an electrical guy who says he could probably figure all of that out. If not, I'll just go after market. I'm not too worried about emissions since I can get a voucher that says it's only a racing vehicle.

Any problems I might run into with this idea?

Old 03-08-2011, 12:55 AM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cant help you with any of your questions, I just wanted to state that this will be a bad *** build. If only I had an extra 440 lying around....

Edit: after further thought, one of the many difficulties you'll need to overcome: fuel delivery.... but i'm sure you've already thought of this

Last edited by Mad_Scientist; 03-08-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:15 AM
Smashed-And-RAM
Professional

Well, that is on the list of things to figure out once I see if it will even fit, lol. I will probably be using a mechanical pump type setup, or a walbro external pump. Not sure how that will pan out yet, but once I get closer to the actual build I will figure all of that out somehow. I could probably get away with just using a fuel cell, but I doubt I would get more than 5 mpg with this setup as heavy as this truck is. Not to mention I haven't looked into the fuel delivery from the tank yet, I may have to use the fuel cell after all ...

Last edited by Smashed-And-RAM; 03-08-2011 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:25 AM
Mad_Scientist
Captain

Oh, and you'll have to custom make all of the linkages, possibly reinforce the suspension to compensate for the added weight, it would be a good idea to get a stronger, lower geared rear-end (preferably with a locker of some kind)..... I could probably go on for volumes given more time to think of all the issues.

Don't let me dissuade you though, it will be a lot of work and custom fabbing, but the finished product will be as unique as a fingerprint (and will blow the doors off of many competitors if built right); And thats golden in my book.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:35 AM
Smashed-And-RAM
Professional

Yeah, I really need to figure out all of the little details after I figure out what's going to fit, and what's not going to fit. I know the 3.55 gears I have in here now would make that motor dog out. I had 4.10s in the donor car that I yanked that motor/trans out of and it felt pretty good with that. You're right about the suspension issues, this motor is stupid heavy, it's not as heavy as a 426 hemi, but it's pretty stout. I'd say it weighs about 600 lbs or so, while the 318 weighs about 550 lbs. (not sure about this newer one though) I can't imagine it would weigh less than 500 lbs though, so I don't really think 100 lbs would make too much of a difference, really.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:06 AM
Mad_Scientist
Captain

What are the measurements of the 440 vs. the 318? 727 vs. 46re/h? I imagine the 727 would be shorter than the 46 (since the 727 is a 46-sans o/d unit). How far back you want to put the engine in the bay will dictate how many issues you have with mounting a shorter tranny.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:19 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If I had a 440 just sitting around in my shop...I'd throw it in the right car. I think you'd have more fun with that motor in a Charger, Cornet, Satellite, or even a Monaco....

Be on a mission from God

Old 03-08-2011, 09:15 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont quote me with this...but i think the 46re will bolt up cause last i heard the bolt pattern is the same. not sure if it would hold up though... really thats about my only input it should be pretty straigh forward cause the 440 is carbed so it pretty easy

Old 03-08-2011, 09:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

For fuel delivery, just go with a return-style regulator, that will deal with the hefty input pressure. Use the tank, and pump, that's already there.

You can build the 46R? trans to tolerate the power of the 440. It won't be anything even remotely resembling 'cheap' though.

Re-gear would be absolutely necessary.....

Old 03-08-2011, 10:31 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i don't see why you would really need to change the gears. the 440 should not have a problem turn your tires with 3.55 gears. my dad use to have a 66 dodge Monico with a 440 and it had no problems spinning tires and it had 2.71 gears in a posi rear end.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 440 Six Pack, 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 ...