2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Chris-Ram1500
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical problem

Just got a used 2001 Dodge Ram 1500, and theres something wrong with the electrical. The IOD fuse blows the second it gets plugged in.. BEFORE it gets plugged in actually. Everywhere I've read says to check through the wiring to all the components, but I havent seen a problem. Looking through this afternoon I'd say I've seen an estimated 95% of the wiring in the cab and havent seen one exposed wire or even anywhere that looks like there is wear on the wires. I'm not an expert electrician but would say (hopefully) I know enough to tell where there would be a problem with the wiring.

Soooo.. my question is since the power arcs out (ignition not on) and blows the fuse, would that mean the problem is with the power coming INTO the fuse block (even though no other fuses are affected), or is it definitely after? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for reading,
Chris

Old 03-10-2011, 11:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

You have a serious draw after the fuse. Try pulling out the cigarette lighter, and see if the fuse will keep its cool.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:46 PM
wyomingdodge7
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would just unplugging the individual components that the IOD is used for help locate the problem? I had an issue with it a while back but it was a pinched power mirror wire.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by wyomingdodge7
Would just unplugging the individual components that the IOD is used for help locate the problem? I had an issue with it a while back but it was a pinched power mirror wire.
I don't know what all is on that circuit, but, I would suspect things like the clock in the radio, power mirrors maybe, cigarette lighter, and power outlet...... disabling all of them, and then reconnecting one at a time till the fuse blows should let ya know which part is the fun one.

Quick Reply: Electrical problem