2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 ram 1500 5.9l cat issues/ CEL

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:54 PM
duvaldodge
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 ram 1500 5.9l cat issues/ CEL

so recently ive been having power issues with my truck, such as during take off not having enough get up and go and such, well i started messing with my stock air-intake/breather made it so that it has a small space to get air from, right around where the breather clamps on, since then i believe i get better gas mileage and i know i have a very noticeable difference in power and get-up and go, i also took this time to clean almost all the sensors and plugs like: TPS, MAP, and IAC sensors. also i was having idle problems before, where it would irradically idle between high and low, since ive done these things its cleared up and idles perfectly, idk wether adjusting the breather or cleaning all sensors and things changed its performance, but after doing all this i got the check engine light and ran the codes got the catalyst 1/1 code p02040 or something or another, went to have my convertor cut out, turns out their isnt one in it, previous owner must have had it took out, but would like this code to go away. also after i had my new engine and comp installed a couple months ago my abs and brake light stayes on.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

You are allowing unfiltered air into the engine. Bad Plan. What does your air filter look like? From what you are describing, sounds like it is pretty dirty.....

Old 03-25-2011, 02:43 PM
duvaldodge
Amateur

I agree allowing unfiltered air into the engine is a very bad idea, that's kinda the reason they created air filters, my point was it runs great with the small gap ive made. and my air filter is perfect its a brand new k&n air filter. it just seems like it doesnt get enough air to the engine when it comes completly through the engine.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ok, my next suggestion was going to be: Look for the birds nest in your intake.... but, if you have been in there to change the filter..... I would like to think you would have noticed something like that.

Is it any better if you just take off the flex tube between the fender, and air box?

Old 03-25-2011, 03:32 PM
duvaldodge
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ok, my next suggestion was going to be: Look for the birds nest in your intake.... but, if you have been in there to change the filter..... I would like to think you would have noticed something like that.

Is it any better if you just take off the flex tube between the fender, and air box?
lol yes i would have seen it, i did a full body scan

and idk will test today, could it be that its not drawing enough air from outside the vehicle when its all hooked up correctly?

Old 03-25-2011, 03:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

It certainly acts like there is a restriction somewhere......

Quick Reply: 99 ram 1500 5.9l cat issues/ CEL