2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

End-all Be-all plenum thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Been a while since i checked in on this thread, sorry for not getting back sooner.

Originally Posted by tarrin8
so i got a spark knock and havent been able to fix it yet, so it could be the plenum but thats the only symptom i have ,
and when i look down into the throttle body how am i supposed to tell if its oil there or just other build up over time i cant exactly tell if its oil at the bottom or not

no loss of power that i know of, easly go up hill very little oil loss over 5000km oil change only symptom is spark knock?
That does not really sound like the plenum. For a sure answer, provide a pic of the inside of the intake manifold.

Originally Posted by HDRAMman
Welp. I'm off to to this repair today. Wish me luck!
Good luck man.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:14 PM
tarrin8
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist
Been a while since i checked in on this thread, sorry for not getting back sooner.
That does not really sound like the plenum. For a sure answer, provide a pic of the inside of the intake manifold.
ok so heres a picture
well after multiple trys the picture wont show up so its in my garage pictures look at it there...
so if my spark knock is not from a bad plenum then what could it be from?

Old 06-07-2011, 10:25 PM
moparscar

I had mine done 3 times. This 3rd time was cuz I had to go back and replace the heads with the cracked seats. I got the heads from ebay. New Heads. Procomp. No casting numbers.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:36 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tarrin8
ok so heres a picture
well after multiple trys the picture wont show up so its in my garage pictures look at it there...
so if my spark knock is not from a bad plenum then what could it be from?
Your plenum looks good.
However, thats what I thought, and mine is blown.
If you can, try taking a video of the exhaust, while romping on the engine. See how much smoke there is.
Consuming any oil?

Old 06-08-2011, 05:57 PM
tarrin8
Amateur

very little oil lose between oil changes , i did an oil change about 2000 km ago and it went from full to the half way mark in the safe zone on the dip stick, there is white smoke on start up when cold but i also have no cat

Old 06-08-2011, 10:04 PM
moparscar

My truck never ran right until I got it back today.Different intake with new plentum gasket.The Plentum bolts have that blank part on the ends grind half that off. Two "new" heads from race114183 on ebay. Head set ect. I put a 180 stat and the autolite plugs. Oh and I had it piped.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:51 PM
tatitup8
Veteran

how long did this take you guys?

Old 06-18-2011, 04:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

All told, about 8 to 10 hours, being very thorough, and cleaning everything nicely, along with fighting two broken bolts in the head..... that was fun.

Old 06-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Ramzy
Veteran

I also had two broken bolts. Front drivers side and rear passenger side. The rear came out but I had to pull the head and take it to machine shop to remove the other. Not counting that it probably only took me 6-8 hours. But having to wait until monday to get the head to the machine shop was my only hold up. It is not hard just take your time and clean all gasket mating surfaces very good. No leaks at all on mine.

Also I didn't remove the fuel rails like some guys do. They make perfect handles to lift that bad-boy off with.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:04 AM
thedudge
Default my plate

i have a 99 short box with a 5.2 and and she consumes oil has a stank exhaust smell and a leak that is not coming from a hose. im think i need to do my kegger gasket or should look at someting else? i also have a thrown code that is a mass vacuum leak code.....? is it bad to keep driving it like this or should i do the new gasket the first chance i get?
thx

Quick Reply: End-all Be-all plenum thread