2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

End-all Be-all plenum thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 09:57 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyZXR
...reading my instructions from Hughes, they state that "this manifold does not have provisions for the I.A.T sensor, which is good." it goes on to say to cut an X in the intake tube and push the sensor in and then reconnect the wire. Any"lessons learned" doing this?...
I personally drilled an undersized hole, and threaded the sensor in.
The 'X' method seems a bit rough to me.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by Spillage
I personally drilled an undersized hole, and threaded the sensor in.
I think this is a better plan in any event.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:46 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Mullaney
When you start it cold or hot, no smoke. Then a HUGE cloud of blue smoke (Like people run away and give me the finger) when you start driving and the revs get high - once it warms up - no blue smoke.
I would've replied sooner if plenum gaskets were interesting, but better late than never, right? That sounds an awful lot like a sticky PCV valve. As strange as it seems, the best bet is to score a dealer part. The variance of the aftermarket parts is too great so they're too likely to be overly generous.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:49 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Spillage
It's worse than that.

Relocating the IAT to get a richer mix at WOT means also getting a richer mix during cold start/warm-up. Personally, a couple top end WOT horsepower that I couldn't even perceive without a machine to tell me they're there aren't so valuable that I'll accept increased carbon deposition and oil contamination to get it.

If I had a Hughes FI Airgap manifold, after feeling rotten for putting money in that lot's pockets I'd add a port right near that #8 hole for my IAT to live in.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Didn't they start putting a threaded hole in the plenum, just below the throttle body on those?

Old 01-12-2016, 03:59 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Didn't they start putting a threaded hole in the plenum, just below the throttle body on those?
On Hughes' poorly thought out piece? I haven't heard that rumor. Their online installation instructions still say "This manifold does not have provisions for the I.A.T. sensor, which is good", but the file may be out of date -- it says it was last updated in April 2013.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Hhhhmmmm..... Maybe I am thinking of the M1.......

Old 01-17-2016, 08:48 PM
TSU_Delta_Chi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I had an interesting day. I pulled everything out of the way of the intake and pulled all the intake bolts. Well, the two front ones snapped off in the block. I'll have to use the torch and use some vice grips to get them out. The new issue I ran in to was that I can't get the intake off! I tried some well placed smacks with a rubber mallet and even some pry bars, but nothing worked. Not really sure what I'll do next.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

It hangs on pretty tight.... and all the crap that has built up around those two broken off bolts aren't helping either. Try and get the back to break loose. (there are twelve bolts, did you get them all?) Once the back is loose, just wiggle the manifold, while prying up on the front.... Having a friend makes the job a lot easier.

For the broken bolts, dig all the crap out from around where they go into the head, there is a bit of larger hole around them, once you get that cleared, drown with some pb blaster, grab the bolt with your vice grips, and while you are working the vice grips back and forth, tap on the end of the bolt with a hammer. They should break loose fairly easy at that point, and then thread right out.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:50 AM
TSU_Delta_Chi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, sir! I got all twelve. Well, 10, haha! It's been repaired before and whoever used it piled on TONS of gasket maker all over the seals and it's just everywhere. I'm going to continue messing with it this morning to see if I can get it off by hand. Push comes to shove, I have my cherry picker and I can put some bolts back on the intake with a chain and try and lift it off that way. As for the stuck bolts, that's what I'm planning on doing with them. I may even get the torch and apply a little heat to help the process along, haha! Hopefully by this evening it will be all done.

Quick Reply: End-all Be-all plenum thread