Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

radiator coolant leak?

Old 04-11-2011, 05:25 PM
1998 Dodge Ram 1500

Default radiator coolant leak?

I started to smell some coolant a couple weeks ago after driving for an hour. At the time I checked and have periodically checked the coolant level, the oil and for any signs of leaks but no luck.

Today I checked and it looks like some residue on the driver side, at the bottom of the radiator on the frame. I know the radiator and water pump were replaced a couple years ago. The coolant level IS down. There is not smells in the cab and the carpet is dry.

So, I plan on trying some leak stop for the radiator in case there is a pin hole or such.

Anyone have any other ideas? Just in case there is no pin hole leak?

Dale
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 04-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Captain
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge ram 5.7 4x4

The draincock is near the location you mentioned, check that before anything.

I would advise against stop-leak products, I have had bad experiences with them. I used some to stop the leak I had in my old chevy (freeze plug pinhole). It stopped the leak alright... it also settled on the corners of the water channels in the block which impeded flow and gave me an overheating problem (it would heat up at drive-thrus, red lights, traffic stops, etc.)

In lieu of stop leak products, I suggest some quick steel. Put it over the pinhole (if that's what it is) and let it cure. This is only a temp fix, but has served me well in a few situations when money was tight.

Mud rig: 2001 ram 5.9 4x4; DD: 2007 ram 5.7 4x4
The problem with this world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.- Bertrand Russell
Old 04-11-2011, 08:55 PM
1998 Dodge Ram 1500

I did check the drain, but could not get the drain to move with my fingers. That are is definately the location of the leak. Just cannot pinpoint it.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:04 AM
1998 Dodge Ram 1500

Default new radiator installed

I finally found the leak. after climbing a BIG hill pulling a trailer I was leaking for sure. Came from the top part of the radiation where the plastic and the metal come together (seam) on the top right side. SO. New radiator installed.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Champion
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 dodge ram 1500 5.2L 4x2

Can't thank you enough for up dating your thread. It'll help someone else down the road, (no pun intended). Glad you found your fix!
Old 01-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
2000 Dodge Ram 2500

Vehicle: 2000 2500HD 4x4 5.9

+1.... Very few people update. Thank You
2000 2500HD 4X4 5.9 and 4:10's,HF tuned SCT,Red-Head gear box, HS 1.7's,
50mm Fastman TB, Hughes Plate,2" Hell Bent ,Volant CAI
Flowmaster 50 series, Rock Solid Ram Steering fix,B&M trans cooler,fuzzy dice good for 5HP
Old 01-06-2012, 03:10 PM

Tags
coolant leak, leak, radiator