2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS and emergency brake lights turned on?

Old 10-11-2011, 11:37 PM
joekool4
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8uzzsaw
I just encountered this problem with my '98 Ram and it includes my spedometer fluttering or even just sitting at 0 while im doing under 50 km/h. Is it the same fix or should I be looking at something different?
Realized mine does the same thing tonight. Under 35mph and it stays at 0

Old 08-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Cummins Fire
Default ABS & Parking Brake On

I have an 07 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4, and out of no where my ABS and Parking Brake light would flash on and ding. It didn't do it often but progressively got worse each day to where it would do it every 15 to 30 seconds with no rhyme or reason. It also did it while parked if I turned the steering wheel to the right at a certain point and turned off if turned back left. I did notice that it didn't do it if I had the cruise set while on the interstate, however if adjusted the speed up or down using my control buttons it kicked my cruise off and would light up and ding. Brake fluid and brakes were good and no issues with my speedometer or braking what so ever. Got on here and looked around and saw people spending alot of money trying to figure it out. I decided to start cheap because I'm a tight ***, along with going with what I've read and signs and symptoms of the truck, and changed out my ABS sensor (speed sensor) in the top of my rear diff. It cost $15 and it took me 10 minutes to change MYSELF, and it fixed the problem. The only thing I can figure is the sensor wasn't completely out so it would pick up a constant reading while on cruise causing it to not go off but adjustment in speed it couldn't read causing fault. I hope this helps someone and saves them money. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2013, 01:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Originally Posted by Cummins Fire
I have an 07 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4, and out of no where my ABS and Parking Brake light would flash on and ding. It didn't do it often but progressively got worse each day to where it would do it every 15 to 30 seconds with no rhyme or reason. It also did it while parked if I turned the steering wheel to the right at a certain point and turned off if turned back left. I did notice that it didn't do it if I had the cruise set while on the interstate, however if adjusted the speed up or down using my control buttons it kicked my cruise off and would light up and ding. Brake fluid and brakes were good and no issues with my speedometer or braking what so ever. Got on here and looked around and saw people spending alot of money trying to figure it out. I decided to start cheap because I'm a tight ***, along with going with what I've read and signs and symptoms of the truck, and changed out my ABS sensor (speed sensor) in the top of my rear diff. It cost $15 and it took me 10 minutes to change MYSELF, and it fixed the problem. The only thing I can figure is the sensor wasn't completely out so it would pick up a constant reading while on cruise causing it to not go off but adjustment in speed it couldn't read causing fault. I hope this helps someone and saves them money. Good luck!
Wrong forum.. Post up in the third-gen ram section.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:08 PM
mike241900

I have this issue but with a little twist: when my dummy abs/park brake lights are on, I have no headlights, tail lights, or brakes lights on the outside of the truck. 2001 dodge ram 1500 4X4 5.9L. Has anyone else had this same issue? I have checked: brake fluid, fuses, light relays, switches, grounds on all the lights, and all the wiring that I can see (under truck to the rear diff is the only portion I can't see)

Old 10-07-2015, 03:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's just weird. You have a short somewhere. Intermittents are always the most fun..... Question becomes, which is the cause, and which is the effect.... is the short confusing the abs system? (that's what I would guess.)

Old 10-07-2015, 04:09 PM
mike241900

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's just weird. You have a short somewhere. Intermittents are always the most fun..... Question becomes, which is the cause, and which is the effect.... is the short confusing the abs system? (that's what I would guess.)
That's what I figured would be the situation. Seems like a short is about the worst-case scenario for this problem...probably gona cost me some money... I'll try to give an update once I(or the dealer) figure this out. Hopefully, this is my only issue with the abs system and once it's fixed it will simply reset. Thanks for the input.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:07 PM
mike241900

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Ok so i've been thinking about this too much the past couple of days...one question: How do the headlights relate to the abs system? It seems like when my headlights going out, the "lamp out" light should come on, but it doesn't; only the abs light. It doesn't make sense that the abs lights come on when the headlights go out.... I've looked at a few wiring diagrams and cannot find where they "intersect", where is the connection? Am I over-thinking this?

Old 10-11-2015, 06:55 PM
mike241900

Update!! Ok, I think I've found at least part of the problem. On the ABS side of things, I found exposed wire on the connection to the rear speed sensor about 8 inches from the rear differential.
Truck's exhaust system ends in front of the rear axle under the bed of the truck and the plastic loom had melted into one of the wires along with dirt/grime.

So, that explains why the ABS dash light comes on when the truck heats up...as for the exterior lights going out at the same time, still not sure. It's the red/black striped wire that is burned through. Looking up to see which wire that is now.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:15 AM
mike241900

Update again ....So the wire at the rear diff is fixed and new speed sensor is installed and it worked, until yesterday. Got in the truck, cranked it, and bam abs/parking brake lights on, as well as, and this is IMPORTANT -> all headlights and tail lights were out except the front right headlight (when I turned the headlights ON they would not come on, only the right front stayed on and turning the switch to the OFF position did nothing) AND on the overhead console, the thermostat read --° F.

So.....if anyone has any info with these symptoms please let me know because I have searched all over different dodge/ram forums and have not found these specific issues.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

You have some serious wiring issues. Time to start inspecting the various harnesses. Yep, that's gonna be fun.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS and emergency brake lights turned on?