2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS and emergency brake lights turned on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 03:35 AM
joeyd208
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ABS and emergency brake lights turned on?

hey guys i got a 95 ram 1500 and the (ABS) and parking brake light just turned on and now they wont turn off just wondering what that could be from? i checked my brake fluid, and that was completely full so i dont think that is what its from, not sure what else would cause this if you guys can help me that would be great! thank you

Old 04-26-2011, 09:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Does your speedometer work right? If it does, replace the sensor on top of the rear differential. Rear Wheel Speed Sensor.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:09 PM
joeyd208
Rookie

yeah my speedomoter is working, i was thinking it could be that also ok ill try replacing that and see if it takes care of the problem thank you

Old 04-26-2011, 05:29 PM
BigGRam
Amateur

I had this problem, with me it was a little bit worse though. For some reason someone, I know for sure it wasn't me put trans fluid into my master cylinder resevoir. Like I said not sure who was stupid enough to do that and even though it is my truck and I should know I don't . Anyway if I remember correctly I was driving one day with both those lights on and my pedal went to the floor. No brakes. The trans fluid destroyed all the lines and seals in my brake system. Cost about 700 to fix all that nonsense. Anyway I assume you have brakes, maybe you could try bleeding the lines and putting in new brake fluid.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:41 PM
joeyd208
Rookie

Originally Posted by BigGRam
I had this problem, with me it was a little bit worse though. For some reason someone, I know for sure it wasn't me put trans fluid into my master cylinder resevoir. Like I said not sure who was stupid enough to do that and even though it is my truck and I should know I don't . Anyway if I remember correctly I was driving one day with both those lights on and my pedal went to the floor. No brakes. The trans fluid destroyed all the lines and seals in my brake system. Cost about 700 to fix all that nonsense. Anyway I assume you have brakes, maybe you could try bleeding the lines and putting in new brake fluid.
man that would really suck!!! well i do have brakes maybe i should just double check the bleeding on it just to be on the safe side. yeah this truck has been something else i tell you what, first my crankshaft position sensor went out, then i had to redo the spider gears in my rear end, then my rear end went out completely on the freeway so i had to get a new rear end, then a month later the tranny blew out on me, and now these lights turned on. haha i paid two thousand for the truck and have dumped over 3 grand into it!!!

Old 04-27-2011, 12:30 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

yeah i never had a problem with my brakes but one night after a strong thunder storm my abs/ brake light came on and my speedo/odometer quit working, along with my tq lock-up!, i bought a new abs senor for the rear axel and it fixed it.

the part at autozone costs about $37. WARNING: they might try to sell you a trans speed sensor but my truck did not have one.(i have a 99) (i think they did away with that sensor in '97)(not sure)

Old 04-27-2011, 08:26 AM
thompson1986
Rookie

i actually have this issue, my brake light has been on since i got the truck and the ABS light likes to come on every once and a while too, for me its the rear wheel speed sensor that causes the ABS as for the brake light i still havent figured it out as i have fixed the brakes all around and various brake lines. still it stays on, i just pay very close attention to brake fluid and brake behavior so i dont end up RAMing someone lol

Old 04-27-2011, 09:14 AM
CaseInternational
Rookie

My problem was also the rear wheel speed sensor but the wires that go the sensor had been ripped in two close the rear leaf springs so I would look at that as well.

Jeff

Old 04-27-2011, 09:45 AM
thompson1986
Rookie

yeah but my brake light is ALWAYS on i mean i dont mind all the pretty dash lights being on, just not all the time id like a day of no lights on

Old 04-27-2011, 11:24 PM
joeyd208
Rookie

Originally Posted by CaseInternational
My problem was also the rear wheel speed sensor but the wires that go the sensor had been ripped in two close the rear leaf springs so I would look at that as well.

Jeff
now that you mention it when i had to replace my rear diff one of the clips for that sensor wire had broke off so it was hanging a little bit thats a good point right there well tomorrow is my day off so guess its hi ho hi ho its off to autozone i go! thanks guys hopefully its just that stupid sensor and nothing major! i love this forumn everyone is way helpful!!!

Quick Reply: ABS and emergency brake lights turned on?