2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

motor problems...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 12:37 AM
k3atdawg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor problems...

So the other day i was out driving around and noticed the my truck was starting to act funny so i turned down the radio and listened...

The timing sounded like it was off when it was idleing and sounded like a motorcycle. if the gas pedal wasnt pressed the engine would slowly kill itself until it shut off.

the check engine light wasnt on at this point.

So i took it home and put new plugs wires cap and rotor on it... still did nothing..

the check engine light came on with 2 codes

p0132 and p0135

so i ended up putting new o2 sensors in and that did nothing

checked the fuel pressure and it was 50 pounds

then the check engine light went off again.

the truck was still running like crap so i changed the idle air control sensor and that did nothing...

when driving the truck it runs just fine, but coming down to an idle it runs like crap and will slowly kill itself if the gas pedal isnt pressed... it also does it while coasting down a hill....

Any ideas what else could be wrong?

1998 dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.9 magnum

Old 06-02-2011, 07:09 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

p0132 and p0135 is the front O2 sensor. (not the rear). did you change the front one?

be sure and clear the codes by disconnecting battery and turning headlights on for 30 seconds.

on the IAC motor on the back of the throttle body. make sure the small port at then end of the pintle well is open, and the pintle well is clean.

if all else fails, replace TPS on the drivers side of the throttle body. it can affect idle funtion some.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:24 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

I'd also try the tps.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:22 PM
k3atdawg

yes, the changed the front one.... ill take a look at that and ill try a new tps and see what happens.... otherwise i dont have a clue

Quick Reply: motor problems...