2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine swap woes (No start) Help!

Old 05-22-2011, 03:31 PM
sgjeeper36
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap woes (No start) Help!

Hey all, I figured I've been linked to a ton of threads here from google that I would come ask my questions here. So, I swapped a '96 5.9 into my 2000 Jeep Wrangler. I've got everything wired and hooked up right, or so I think. My problem now is I'm not getting any spark. I'm getting fuel though. I've put on a new cap and rotor, then I tested the ignition coil... No spark from it on crank. So I tested my neighbors coil in there, and still no spark. The plug is getting 12v with the key in the run position, the coil is also putting out 12v in the run position, then when I go to crank it the voltage drops. The battery is good, tested it with my neighbors battery as well. I've bypassed the ASD relay and still no spark. I'm not sure what to check here. Maybe some of you gurus can help me out.

Thanks,
Josh

Some more info just incase its needed: I'm pulling codes for the evap, since I don't have that hooked up, also pulling p1765 (I think its that)
Also, will a 98 PCM interchange with the switching of some sensors to the 96 motor? I'm almost sure it will from looking at pinouts from both. I want to run the ccd bus system since thats what my Jeep uses so I can use my stock cluster.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,920 Posts

Check the crank sensor, and the wiring for it. Sounds like it isn't getting a good signal. They are also incredibly easy to break if you try and install the engine or trans, with the sensor in place. Located on back of motor, toward the passenger side, reads the tone ring off the flywheel. (flexplate, whatever...)

Old 05-22-2011, 04:08 PM
sgjeeper36

Just put a new crank sensor in 4 days ago. The wiring seemed sound. However, does the ckps go through the ASD relay first? What I'm trying to ask is basically if I bypassed the ASD thats essentially bypassing the CKPS right? Or will it still read from the CKPS even with the ASD relay bypassed?

Old 05-22-2011, 04:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Without a signal from the CKPS,the engine simply will not run. If the ASD relay is faulty, you could just swap it with another relay, say, the wiper relay, to see if that is the problem.

Where did you get your new sensor? Reason I ask.... is these engines HATE aftermarket sensors in critical areas, of which, the CKPS is right at the top of the list.

You should be able to use a 2000 PCM to run the engine. The only difference between the motors sensor wise, as far as I know, as the newer ones only had one engine temp sensor.... Not sure of the differences between the 98, and 00 PCM's though...

Old 05-22-2011, 04:21 PM
sgjeeper36

I got the sensor from advance autoparts. I got the $50 one. (Manual transmission). It was a random brand I've never heard of before. I'm gonna go check the wiring on it though, just to make sure nothing got snipped or broke during install.
By the way, thanks for responding so quickly!

Old 05-22-2011, 04:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Do you actually have a manual transmission? I don't know if there is a difference in pickup location between the two, but, might be something to check.

Your flexplate/flywheel DID have the tone ring on it? Right?

Your timing was good, I tend to be a 'drive-by poster'.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:46 PM
sgjeeper36

Yeah, I'm using a NV3550. Okay, so stupid question here since I didn't think to check because the flywheel came with the motor, and It never really crossed my mind, will the tone ring be engine side or clutch side, also it will have notches correct? Because now that I'm thinking about it, it might not have had one. DOH!

Old 05-22-2011, 06:35 PM
tweeker909
Professional

How you going about this swap? nv3550 to a mopar is a costly swap. For one the starter is on the opposite side. Bell houseings a different. Got pic's?

Old 05-22-2011, 06:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Might wanna pull the CKPS, and use a light, and mirror, and see if you can see the tone ring....

Old 05-22-2011, 07:18 PM
sgjeeper36

Okay, it does have a tone ring. It has one set of 4 holes spaced apart about a quarter inch or so.
As for the swap, I used a bellhousing from a 3.9l Dakota with the AX-15. Everything bolted up perfectly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine swap woes (No start) Help!