2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

yet another a/c question

Old 06-10-2011, 04:14 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yet another a/c question

hey guys, well i charged my a/c today, and found out the high pressure port is leaking everytime the compressor kicks on, well i bought the kit to fix it, and come to find out the port is not service-able like its supposed to be.....so i bought new caps and tightened em down as much as i could. any insight on how to fix the high port from leaking?

Old 06-10-2011, 05:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

It should just be a schraeder valve that you can unscrew, and replace. If that method doesn't work..... replace the entire line.

(just the valve core comes out.)

Old 06-10-2011, 05:14 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It should just be a schraeder valve that you can unscrew, and replace. If that method doesn't work..... replace the entire line.

(just the valve core comes out.)
yeah i know that, i bought the schrader valve kit, and the driver part that takes the valve out doesnt fit in the hole. so ill probly just end up replacing the entire port....although ill end up having to recharge the entire system... oh well.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:15 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

well i found out there is 2 different types of shreader valves. im going to be replacing the entire liquid(high pressure) line. also getting 30oz of refridgerant to throw in it as it requires 1.875lbs or 30oz.

all in all i can get the line, 30oz or refridgerant, and a/c line disconnects for 60 bucks using promo codes at advance! ill be getting a new accumulator next.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Keep in mind, that if you buy the stuff in the cans, you can only equalize pressures. You won't be able to empty the second can into the system.... get more than you need.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:52 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Keep in mind, that if you buy the stuff in the cans, you can only equalize pressures. You won't be able to empty the second can into the system.... get more than you need.
so should i get to 18oz cans then, or how much more should i get?

Old 06-12-2011, 05:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, start with the two 18 ouncers, and see what that does for your pressures. If it ain't enough, get another small can.

Also, keep in mind, the system is probably still under pressure, and when that stuff comes out, it is EXTREMELY cold...... freeze your flesh in seconds. DON'T be someplace in the way. Even removing the schraeder valve will release all the freon in the system. (ok, so, it isn't really 'freon', its 'refrigerant', freon is easier to type.....)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: yet another a/c question