2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Strange acceleration problems - 95 4x4 v10

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 02:28 AM
bloads
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange acceleration problems - 95 4x4 v10

I have a very strange acceleration problem on my 1995 v10 4x4 ram. Many times it feels like I'm only getting 25-75% of power/acceleration I should be feeling when stepping on the gas, only at very low speeds. It seems to happen most after I've been parked on an uphill incline, or if I try to accelerate from a stop where i haven't let my truck come to a complete, semi-abrupt, stop. It does also happen, just not as much, from a complete stop on flat ground. Basically, I can lightly accelerate, 2200 rpm range, and have very little speed increase, then after a few seconds the truck decides to acknowledge the fact that the engine is working, and then it takes off with the 'normal' (it has 120k miles) acceleration that it should.

What should I tell a mechanic to look at, my tranny/differential/something-else?

Last edited by bloads; 12-11-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:46 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had a fowled plug that caused a similar issue with mine, do you have a CEL?

Old 12-11-2010, 02:54 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bloads
What should I tell a mechanic to look at, my tranny/differential/something-else?
Tell him to look at your truck! If you're going to pay a professional to apply his knowledge to your problem, just let him do his job.

I cannot describe just how insulting it is to a professional to be told what to do by someone who knows a lot more than he ever bothered to actually learn. It's so insulting that many, myself included, will let those people spend all of their money without ever addressing the problem -- you want this done? Okay. Now that? Okay. No problem. Oh, now you just want your problem solved? Why didn't you say so in the first place?

Good luck with it!

Old 12-11-2010, 09:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Tell the mechanic what the problem is. Let him take it from there. That IS his job after all. Unregistered is quite correct.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:00 AM
bloads

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Tell him to look at your truck! If you're going to pay a professional to apply his knowledge to your problem, just let him do his job.

I cannot describe just how insulting it is to a professional to be told what to do by someone who knows a lot more than he ever bothered to actually learn. It's so insulting that many, myself included, will let those people spend all of their money without ever addressing the problem -- you want this done? Okay. Now that? Okay. No problem. Oh, now you just want your problem solved? Why didn't you say so in the first place?

Good luck with it!
Several mechanics have looked at it in the past years, with zero results. I'm hoping someone here has had a similar problem, or a clue to what it may be, so that I can take it to somewhere local that specializes in, or is well reviewed for, that particular problem.

I've tried taking it to people, asking them to fix it, for a long while now. No mechanic yet has touched the problem, though they don't mind charging me for things that they say could work, yet never do.

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
i had a fowled plug that caused a similar issue with mine, do you have a CEL?
Nope, no check engine light

Last edited by bloads; 12-12-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Have you been to the dealer?

If you have the ability to do data logging, (which is probably the only way you are actually going to be able to figger this one out.) keep logs for a while, and when the problem presents itself, compare "bad" logs, to "good" ones. See what differences there are, and take it from there.

Not gonna be an easy fix. Well, it might be an easy fix, once you know what you NEED to fix...... figgering it out is just gonna be fun.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:13 AM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Bad plugs
Wrong plugs
Bad plug wire, ie: broken and making poor contact
Plugged or collapsed Cats
It's a crap shoot, I've had all of the above affect my truck and it's accelleration.
The last one came with what is known as PING under hard accelleration.

Also the early V10's were prone to the heads cracking.

Not saying that any of these are you're issue, just some simple things to check.
But as Hey you said a dealer is probably you're best bet.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Pewter

Sorry to bump such an ancient thread, but I was wondering if anybody ever found an answer to the problem? My husband is having the same issue with his '01 2500 5.9

Old 06-11-2011, 05:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The original poster hasn't been back since december last year.... so, if he did get it fixed, doesn't appear he is going to be telling us about it.

Have your husband check his plenum. (stickied thread at top of this forum, with all the gory details. )

Old 06-13-2011, 08:00 PM
bloads

Nobody that I've taken it to (dealer, multiple mechanics) can figure it out.

Quick Reply: Strange acceleration problems - 95 4x4 v10