2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Bands to adjust or not to adjust

Old 06-16-2011, 02:10 PM
BamaRam97
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edlucky1
Where are you taking it, if you don't mind saying?
To be honest with you now I am not so sure. I know everyone says avoid Chain stores, but here in north Alabama it is either Mr. Transmission or a guy who works out of a garage at his home. I've just moved here so I haven't had anytime to get to know the mechanics around here. Anybody got suggestions?

Old 06-16-2011, 02:23 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

familiarize yourself with the procedures.. they aren't hard at all.. take note of the toque applied to each band adjuster, and things like this..

ask the mechanic how he goes about adjusting the bands.. simple question.. if what he shares isn't precise, he's making up and answer on the spot.. it's too easy to remember if he is familiar with a dodge tranny.. if he answers something to the effect: "I'll look up the procedure and follow it carefully", I'd be more likely to trust him..

folks who make stuff up aren't to be trusted in a situation like that.. folks who are forthright and answer (in effect) they don't know the precise procedure but will before the start most likely will..

if you get back in your truck, and drive it, and FEEL a difference, something is amiss.. adjusting the bands is a preventive maintenance procedure- it is rarely a fix.. it may make your shifts a little more firm, but shouldn't be something you feel undeniably.. if you DO feel something like that, he either over-torqued or under-torqued..

from what i've learned by being here, and from the great (but missing) tranny teacher Unreg, this is gospel..

I had mine adjusted about 3k miles ago.. i couldn't feel anything different about it at all. The tranny had never been serviced up to 120k miles, and I swapped the electronics in it myself.. the donut was a slimy mess... I did it again at 145k miles, and the donut was almost clear.. again @150k, along w/ bands, and it was clear.. Soon, I will put the deep pan and additional axillary cooler on it, which will give me another look at the donut.. it feels just as strong today as ever.. maintenance is a VERY good thing..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Bands to adjust or not to adjust