2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transfer Case??? 231D to 231 HD

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 PM
TwistedCage
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Transfer Case??? 231D to 231 HD

2001 Dode ram 1500 Sport qud cab short bed 4x4 auto transmission. now to the point I got my build sheet from dodge and it said that my truck was built with
ADAP Light Group
ADJ Heavy Duty Service Group
AGG Sport Group
DGT 4-Spd. Automatic 46RE Transmission
DHAP Lock-Up Torque Converter
DHKS Shift-on-the-Fly,231HD Transfer Case
NMCP Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
SFBS Front Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
SGBS Rear Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers

but when i went under my truck my trans case says 231 D.I was woundering if i could just buy a 231 hd and just bolt it up with no problems or is there a stronger trans case that would fit with none or little moding. Oh and does all that heavy duty mean i have a heavy duty truck? or how can i find out if it is HD or not?

Old 06-20-2011, 11:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Being a heavy duty just means it is more capable, it doesn't give it any additional tow rating, or load carrying capacity that I am aware of. (of course, I may be missing something to0.....)

Its possible the original t-case crapped out, and that was what they put in there. The tag should read 231DHD....... If you can find one of the HD units, it should be a direct bolt in.

Of course, the 241 would bolt right up as well, to the trans anyway.... but, rear output shaft is different spline count/diameter... I think, and the front shaft uses larger u-joints.... not sure if the flange is larger or not.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:02 AM
brutalwarpig
Default 231d and HD not the same

I have a 96 Dakota that had A 231d from the factory. All I could find locally was a 231d HD. The difference is the stock tc has a 27 spline output shaft and the HD had a 32 spline output. They are the same on the transmission side and bolt up just fine. I changed drive shaft yokes and thought I had it made until I realized that the HD didn't have a vss hole. Without which transmission won't upshift. I have the 27 spline shaft but i assume that it won't be compatible with the planetary gear internally. So I'm kinda screwed.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:24 AM
brutalwarpig
Default 231d to 231dhd

Well my hd unit didn't have the spedo vss hole. My solution was to swap the output shaft with the one in my original 231d. Opened up the hd and absolutely no difference except for the output shaft and the smaller mode gear that mates the output shaft to the planetary gear. I put my original output shaft and gear in the hd case and now it's identical to the 231d. Only 3 pinion gears in both cases, same chain etc. I did notice that the hd looked like it had been opened before so it may have been modified. The output shaft wasn't compatible with the vss sending unit so changing the bearing housing wasn't an option. I just wanted to get my truck back on the road. I know a lot of people will think that I went backwards as far as overall strength goes but with the rare exception of snow in Tennessee I never use the 4WD anyway. This is my first t-case mod so if I said anything stupid sounding to you serious wheeling guys. Sorry I'm a nube. Lol

Old 07-10-2015, 01:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

The HD version is supposed to have a wider chain........

Quick Reply: Transfer Case??? 231D to 231 HD