2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Questions About Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 07:51 PM
kcchief
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions About Engine Replacement

I am finally to the point where I have to pull the engine and replace. Found one but have some questions. What is the most easiest way to change them out, pull transmission also or leave transmission in. Also about how long on average does it take. Anything I should be aware of before attempting this as well. I plan on taking pics first and then labling and writing down the steps I do so I can have pics to refer back to and also notes.

I am putting the same type engine back in 5.9L Magnum. The engine I am going to put in is a used engine but low miles and excellent condition. Anything I should do to the engine before I put it in also?

Thanks.....

Old 11-11-2011, 08:12 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pulling the motor while leaving the transmission in is pretty simple, you just need some helper's to be underneath the truck to help things out, especially when you put the motor back in.

IMO it would be much easier since your putting in a new motor all together, if you pull the tranny too you've got to do something with it until your ready to mount it to the new engine. I'd leave it in.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Yep. Just pull the motor. having another warm body there to help you makes the job a LOT easier. Bribe one of your friends.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:17 PM
SilverSS
Captain

I'd probably go ahead and fix the plenum gasket while it's out.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:51 PM
kcchief

Have a question on something I am confused about. I decided to call a shop and asked them their labor rate. I called a shop and asked them how much time it would take to remove the old engine and put the other one in. They told me 4 hours to remove and 6 hours to install the other engine for a total of 10 hours. Well I started getting a little nervous about maybe trying to do this myself. So a little later I called back and asked the person who answered the phone how much their hourly rate is and was told 60.00 per hour. So after getting off the phone I though hmmm 10 hours X 60.00 per hour so 600.00 to remove the old one and put the other one in. The other engine that is going in has already had everything done to it so really all they need to do is switch the engines and then make sure it runs ok. So just a bit ago I call them to get the exact price and to set up the appt. I call and ask for a quote to remove the old engine and put the other one in, advising them that the other engine has all the maintenance done and just needs to be put in and make sure it runs ok. They give me a quote of 1100.00 and some change. I asked the guy about how long it would take for them to do it and he replies, oh about 10 hours at the most. So now I am really confused, can anyone explain or does anyone know why it would be like this. I called three other shops and have been told 10 hours, 9.5 hours and 11.5 hours for replacement, and 980.00, 1025.00 and 1100.00. Is there something I am missing or just not understanding about it. I thought the price would be the labor rate rate times the hours.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:16 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure about the shops. It takes a little while to get everything un-connected/unbolted and the motor free from the transmission and then everything out of the way so it doesn't get crushed when you pull the motor. You need an engine hoist to easily get it out.

And putting the new one in is fairly simple, you need a body underneath to get it lined up with the transmission and motor mounts. It takes a good while to put everything back together too.

Edit: When we did the hemi rebuild they marked the location of the flywheel so it got put back in the some location upon re-install.

Last edited by stewie01; 11-12-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

There are additional charges for an engine swap. Coolant, oil, oil filter, assorted shop supplies, and whatever other fees they can think of to charge you. (kinda like banks.) If you have some mechanical aptitude, a warm, dry place to work, and a good set of tools, engine swaps really aren't that bad. (cherry picker would be good to...... only a few cars on the market today that I can pick up and carry the engine...... dodge trucks sure as hell ain't one of 'em. ) Having a bud that has some idea of whats up helps a lot too. Even if all they do is play tool gopher. You could do it in a weekend. Might have to take it someplace for things like the exhaust, if it gets stupid. But, aside from that, it's really not that hard.

Quick Reply: Questions About Engine Replacement