2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clacking sound in front brakes

Old 08-01-2011, 11:46 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clacking sound in front brakes

Well, I have pinpointed the sound in my front end. There is a clacking sound in my front brakes. It does not happen all the time, but if the truck is parked overnight and I try to back out of my driveway, as soon as I go from putting it into reverse and taking it off the brake, I hear a clack sound. Sometimes the clack happens when i apply the brakes in the same situation.

But if I try to repeat the sound, it will not happen. Maybe 1 in every 10 times I can get it to make the sound.

Do you guys think I need new calipers? The brake pads are only 1 year old and the shims were properly greased when i put the pads on. They are the duralast gold brake pads. I hae a set of monroe ceramics that i will probably throw on when i do my oil change this weekend.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

I use CRC Disk Brake Quiet on disk brake pad backing plates. It acts as a sorta glue, that holds the pad from vibrating in the caliper. (also eliminates brake squeal....) Just paint the stuff on, let it dry till tacky, and reassemble the brakes.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:09 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did that with the brake quiet (red elmers glue stuff). I am thinking that the piston is sticking and slamming the pad.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
I did that with the brake quiet (red elmers glue stuff). I am thinking that the piston is sticking and slamming the pad.
If that was the case, it would happen every time you first stepped on the brake, after the truck sat for a while. (as the fluid cools, it would contract some, pulling the piston back.)

I wonder if it isn't just the inboard pad shifting in the caliper? Should be able to get the noise to repeat by driving one direction, and applying the brakes so you come to a smooth stop, and then changing directions...... Maybe?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:28 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

are you sure its not the front axle u-joints.

with truck level, twist then back and forth. if they rattle, click, or clack, you've found it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clacking sound in front brakes