2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Anyone install JEGS Off-Road Y-Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Mudshack
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone install JEGS Off-Road Y-Pipes?

I need to replace my cat, so DrewAcually suggested the JEGS Off-Road Y-pipes. This obviously doesn't include a cat, but I don't live where I have to have emissions testing done, so that doesn't bother me. I was wondering if anyone has installed these. If you have, I have the following questions:

1) How were they cut? Did they actually bolt right in
2) How was your performance afterwards
3) Did you end of using a non-fouler on the rear O2 sensor
4) How much louder over stock (with stock muffler) did it make the truck
5) Did your existing O2 sensors fix and plug right in?
6) Any special advice you want to pass along now that you have done it once?

Old 07-16-2011, 08:21 AM
blackbeasst
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mudshack
I need to replace my cat, so DrewAcually suggested the JEGS Off-Road Y-pipes. This obviously doesn't include a cat, but I don't live where I have to have emissions testing done, so that doesn't bother me. I was wondering if anyone has installed these. If you have, I have the following questions:

1) How were they cut? Did they actually bolt right in
2) How was your performance afterwards
3) Did you end of using a non-fouler on the rear O2 sensor
4) How much louder over stock (with stock muffler) did it make the truck
5) Did your existing O2 sensors fix and plug right in?
6) Any special advice you want to pass along now that you have done it once?
i did mine last friday. mine was a booger to put on due to one of the previous owners doing a hack job on the exhaust before. but with a sawzall it didn't put up much of a fight!

now. on to your questions:

1) How were they cut? Did they actually bolt right in--- for the most part yes. just gotta make sure you cut it right to fit in the current pipe.
2) How was your performance afterwards-- well i got some tranny problems and a bad plenum so its hard to tell.
3) Did you end of using a non-fouler on the rear O2 sensor-- yes. and don't try and hold the fouler while trying to drill. not gonna happen
4) How much louder over stock (with stock muffler) did it make the truck--not too bad. if you already have a semi loud exhaust then you might not notice it.
5) Did your existing O2 sensors fix and plug right in?--yup. plug and play. my front was a beach to screw in but we lubed it up and it went right it!
6) Any special advice you want to pass along now that you have done it once?--pb blast the hell out of the nuts/bolts. some of my clamps were rusted beyond recognition. not sure what my neighbor used to seal up the pipes where they clamp, but it was worth it (it was some kinda gray paste)

oh and make sure it fits snug on the exhaust manifold. it took 6 hands and 6 eyes to do mine. i guess if you're good you can do it all but its a lot to hold, see, and feel places all at the same time

Old 07-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Mudshack
Veteran

Blackbeasst - great response!

So this is not a one person job? And I need to find my pipe wrench to hold the non-fouler while drilling, eh? And are you suggesting that I find the gray paste, or was that the previous owner that used the paste?

Old 07-16-2011, 09:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Grey Paste is probably muffler cement. Should be available at the parts store, or, you could prolly get a tube from any muffler shop.

Having a second person to help hold pipes and such while you get bolts started makes the job MUCH easier. (I haven't done the Y-pipe, but, I have done more exhaust work than I really care to think about.)

Pipe wrench or vice will be fine. You don't want to CLAMP it in place, just tight enough to keep it from spinning when the drill bites.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:34 AM
blackbeasst
Veteran

Originally Posted by Mudshack
Blackbeasst - great response!

So this is not a one person job? And I need to find my pipe wrench to hold the non-fouler while drilling, eh? And are you suggesting that I find the gray paste, or was that the previous owner that used the paste?
well unless you have the tools to hold the pipe in place in all the correct areas while using your other 2 hands, i would get some help like i said its hard when you are under the truck to see what all is going on all while holding the pipe!

and no the paste was something the guy that was helping me had. also unless you wanna get the fouler spun in your hand, get a drill press or something that doesn't move

like heyyou said its like a cement paste. goes on gooey but hardens as it gets hot.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:27 AM
DodgeRam10
Veteran

Originally Posted by blackbeasst
i did mine last friday. mine was a booger to put on due to one of the previous owners doing a hack job on the exhaust before. but with a sawzall it didn't put up much of a fight!

now. on to your questions:

1) How were they cut? Did they actually bolt right in--- for the most part yes. just gotta make sure you cut it right to fit in the current pipe.
2) How was your performance afterwards-- well i got some tranny problems and a bad plenum so its hard to tell.
3) Did you end of using a non-fouler on the rear O2 sensor-- yes. and don't try and hold the fouler while trying to drill. not gonna happen
4) How much louder over stock (with stock muffler) did it make the truck--not too bad. if you already have a semi loud exhaust then you might not notice it.
5) Did your existing O2 sensors fix and plug right in?--yup. plug and play. my front was a beach to screw in but we lubed it up and it went right it!
6) Any special advice you want to pass along now that you have done it once?--pb blast the hell out of the nuts/bolts. some of my clamps were rusted beyond recognition. not sure what my neighbor used to seal up the pipes where they clamp, but it was worth it (it was some kinda gray paste)

oh and make sure it fits snug on the exhaust manifold. it took 6 hands and 6 eyes to do mine. i guess if you're good you can do it all but its a lot to hold, see, and feel places all at the same time

i would suggest fixing ur plenum asap so you dont jack up your new y pipe. mu understanding it doesnt take long with a blown plenum.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Mudshack
Veteran

That is why I need to get my current cat out of the system. I replaced my plenum and about to replace my O2 sensor. I know I need to get the cat out because it is severely limiting exhaust flow. Just looking for the most economical solution.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:18 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran

Originally Posted by DodgeRam10
i would suggest fixing ur plenum asap so you dont jack up your new y pipe. mu understanding it doesnt take long with a blown plenum.
yeah i had to wait on the guy who had the plates on ebay to cut some more!

Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 PM
NYJohn

Originally Posted by blackbeasst

Then there should be no problem's posting some picture's. Would like to see this JEG'S Y-Pipe installed and alot of guys say they have one but can not seem to find any pic's of it installed.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeRam10
Y Pipe has no cats....

Quick Reply: Anyone install JEGS Off-Road Y-Pipes?