Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Upper dash removal help

Old 07-19-2011, 11:33 PM
All Star
1999 Dodge Ram 1500
My Garage

Vehicle: 1999 Ram 1500 QC Sport 4x4 5.9
Default Upper dash removal help

Hey guys, I'm replacing the dash in my '99, but I'm having trouble removing the old one. Just a couple questions...

1. There are 4 screws still holding it in. 2 on the drivers side, and 2 on the passenger side. They're on the side of the dash and wedged right up against the cab. I can barely see them, much less get a wrench/screwdriver to them. How in the world am I supposed to get at them?

2. I was told that the steering colomn has to be dropped. If I just remove the two nuts on the underside of the column nearest the steering wheel, will it just drop down? Or is there more to it?
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 01 1500 4wd

no experience on the screws, but would a 90* screwdriver or bit in a socket help?

yes, remove the 2 screws and the column will drop down onto the seat.
01 1500 Reg Cab 4wd 5.2 auto 3.55 285/75/16 steps tow hooks sc3815 180 3923 trans cooler filter posilok powertrax (removed) timbren britebox pioneer head rockford amp speaker cobra cb firestick hughes plenum water pump timing chain oil pump rear main hub bearings brakes shocks cracked dash cad bushings seals ujoints trackbar tcase Robert Griffin Trans
Old 07-20-2011, 07:56 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 01 Ram Sport 4x4

I used a ratchet wrench with a ton of extensions.

Remove the two bolts on the bottom of the steering column support bar. It will slide down and out a little and rest it on the seat.

You have the bolts against the window and then two bolts (one on each side) under the dash and near the kick panels. Two people would make it alot easier trust me..
Old 07-21-2011, 07:51 AM
All Star
1999 Dodge Ram 1500
My Garage

Vehicle: 1999 Ram 1500 QC Sport 4x4 5.9

Thanks guys. I think my problem is that I'm trying to separate the whole assembly from the metal frame. I guess that's not how you're supposed to do it. I'll give it another shot today.

I got my new dash from LMC truck yesterday, but when I opened the box, the dash was all scraped up like somebody had taken a rasp to it. I called LMC and they're sending me a new one so I can't complain too much, but I really wanted this done by the weekend.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 01 Ram Sport 4x4

I learned the hard way. I had the usual dash cracks and thought that removing the bolts at the window would release the dask top as I was thinking about fiberglassing and painting it. Come to find out after I literally ripped the dash apart piece by piece that ther were screws holding it on that you normally wouldn't see unless you removed the dash from the firewall. Hope LMC makes it right and would love to see pics when done.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Professional
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 1500 5.2 auto quad cab 4x4

So are you replacing the entire dash or just the top pad piece? I seen 2 options on their site for the pad, a $70 diffrence. What's the diff and which are you doing? Says they ain't crack for a short period if time...how long is that?

Thanks, I'm trying to decide best route to fix mine. I hate the carpet cover.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500

I think one is just a cover. Goes overtop of the current dash top, does not require removal of the dash. Other one would be a replacement part. Physically remove the dash, take off the old one, put on the new one, reinstall the dash. More work, but, in my opinion, better end result.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:23 AM
Legend
2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500 4x2 Big Horn aka The Silver Bullet

Please post pictures of the LMC dash BEFORE it's installed. Top and bottom if you please. I want to see what one of these looks like.
Rolling coal is like spending a considerable amount of money to reconfigure your plumbing system so that when you shat in the toilet, it gets sprayed all over your furniture because someone suggested you should use a better-performing furniture polish.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Professional
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1999 1500 5.2 auto quad cab 4x4

Think the reinforcements they have would be good to use also? Is rather spend the extra and get the replacement rather than just glue one over.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Rookie
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2001 Ram Quad-Cab 360 4x4

IIRC there are 4-6 screws that enter from the backside of the dash towards the driver. As for the ones against the a-piller I use a super flat wrench. Got a set from sears for a few bucks.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:30 PM