2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

About to do an A/C Compressor Replacement. Need some instructions.

Old 08-06-2011, 01:43 PM
jiveabillion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question About to do an A/C Compressor Replacement. Need some instructions.

I have a 1998 Ram 1500 4x2. I'm about to replace the A/C compressor with a new (remanufactured) one and I need some instructions on how to do it using the tools I have available to me (or inexpensive ones I can buy at Advance, Auto Zone, or NAPA B&M stores).

I bought the kit on Ebay for $165. Seems like a great deal.

New Parts I have that came with the kit:

• One Remanufactured Compressor: 10-553
  • One New Drier: 60- 33098
  • New Orifice Tube: 90- 38641
  • One New Seal Kit: MT2507
  • 8oz PAG100 Oil
Parts that I need and don't have yet:
  • R-34a Refrigerant (how much do I need?)
  • ??? Is there anything else I need to get this done?

Tools I have to do the job:
  • Probably all of the wrenches and sockets I need to get it done
  • Air compressor with standard set of attachments
Tools that I need and don't have yet:
  • A vacuum. I don't really know what kind I need. Can my air compressor be used somehow?
  • ??? That's what I'm asking in here for.
I could also use any instructions on how to do this properly. Helpful hints from experience are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-06-2011, 01:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Need a vacuum pump. Something that you can hook to the low side pressure fitting, and draw a vacuum on the system. A rather esoteric tool, unless you can cobble one together. Another alternative would be to take it to a shop, and have THEM draw a vacuum on it for you, then, you just do the rest.

I think advertised capacity of the system is like 2.2 pounds of refrigerant, or something. Should be a sticker under the hood that will tell you. Get a bit more than you think you are really gonna need, as you can never completely empty the can into the system. (get at least one of the cans that comes with a gauge.)

Changing the compressor will be easy. One electrical connection, one connection for the lines. (I think there is only one, two lines, joined??) and four bolts. (don't forget to take the belt off.... ) Make sure the system is empty before you crack it open..... Then, just swap the compressor, replace the other parts... (orfice tube is supposedly not serviceable.... might have to check service manual for location..... also, you will need the quick disconnect tool for the a/c lines....) Once you have it all nicely reassembled, take it to get a vacuum job.... and if that holds, add refrig. to the correct pressure for ambient temp. Should be golden.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:19 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think harbor freight sells that type of vac tool for relatively cheap.

Check the new compressor to see if it comes preloaded with oil. Need to know that so you add the correct amount and don't burn up the compressor.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:46 PM
jiveabillion

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
I think harbor freight sells that type of vac tool for relatively cheap.

Check the new compressor to see if it comes preloaded with oil. Need to know that so you add the correct amount and don't burn up the compressor.
Harbor freight has the vacuum pump for 99.99 and the A/C manifold gauge set for 49.99

The new compressor does not come preloaded with oil. It came with an 8oz container of it though. Where do I put it in? The hole at the top?

Can someone link me to the quick release tool that I need?

Old 08-06-2011, 02:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

Grab the 01 Service manual from the faq section here. Read the section on A/C compressor replacement. it is quite detailed, and will tell you everything you need to know.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:52 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought they had a cheaper vac tool that used an air compressor.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:03 PM
jiveabillion

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
I thought they had a cheaper vac tool that used an air compressor.
I see that now. $14.99. I'll get that one instead.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:47 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried one of those before and I do not believe it pulled enough vacuum. The $99 works well - have used it about 12 times over last several years.

If you take it somewhere to have vac pulled - make sure you have AC turned off afterwards until ready to fill.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:59 PM
jiveabillion

I just followed the service manual and jumpered the low pressure switch connector. After that, the clutch stayed engaged and i had cold air coming out of the vents.

I've only had this truck for about a month. I was sure that the reason the A/C didn't work was the compressor (stupid me).

When I took the cover off the low pressure I saw some green stuff that indicates that someone tried to find a leak before. I didn't see it anywhere else, so I guess there was no leak. Also, it seems to still have a charge as I checked the pressure and it's all the way to the end of the green bar on the dial.

I feel pretty stupid. I'm going to try replacing the low pressure switch and see what happens.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
I tried one of those before and I do not believe it pulled enough vacuum. The $99 works well - have used it about 12 times over last several years.

If you take it somewhere to have vac pulled - make sure you have AC turned off afterwards until ready to fill.
Best to unplug the compressor clutch as using the defrost will also engage the compressor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: About to do an A/C Compressor Replacement. Need some instructions.