2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE 1-2 Shifting at 3000rpm

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:56 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The slip in band is specifically made to allow it to fit over the drum. One end, don't recall if it's the strut end or the anchor end, isn't as beefy as the original, allowing it to fit.

Last edited by Arde; 03-19-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:06 AM
pure adrenaline
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to convince you that under the right circumstances this part: https://www.wittrans.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=22022AS may extend the life of a transmission long enough for the owner to make critical decisions regarding the future of his automobile. Given that I have now heard from 2 users who have installed this slip-on band suggest, yes it works, I think I am going to go ahead and use it and post back my results as well. God bless the internet.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:26 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by master tech
Because i Repair transmissions as my primary job in the dealership. And i have tried slipping the band in and had nothing but problems. Thats why you need to disassemble the transmission.
I concur with this, especially if you want soemthing to work correctly and last. Things will always fail at the most inoportune time....\

I tried to replace my front band and after an hour wrestling with it, and the band winning, out came the tranny.

Originally Posted by Arde
The slip in band is specifically made to allow it to fit over the drum. One end, don't recall if it's the strut end or the anchor end, isn't as beefy as the original, allowing it to fit.
Hence the reliability of these is less than a good band.

Originally Posted by pure adrenaline
We are trying to convince you that under the right circumstances this part: https://www.wittrans.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=22022AS may extend the life of a transmission long enough for the owner to make critical decisions regarding the future of his automobile. Given that I have now heard from 2 users who have installed this slip-on band suggest, yes it works, I think I am going to go ahead and use it and post back my results as well. God bless the internet.
I hope it works, but start making plans for a rebuild, as it is a likley outcome.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:08 PM
pure adrenaline
Rookie

Originally Posted by gdstock
I concur with this, especially if you want soemthing to work correctly and last. Things will always fail at the most inoportune time....\

I tried to replace my front band and after an hour wrestling with it, and the band winning, out came the tranny.

Hence the reliability of these is less than a good band.

I hope it works, but start making plans for a rebuild, as it is a likley outcome.

I thought I would post the outcome of using a slip-on band in my situation. It lasted 1.5 years and about 16k miles if my memory serves me right. Near the end my transmission was completely unusable. No gears would work and metal filings were everywhere. I decided to install a used unit which cost 350.00 and as my luck turned out the used one had recently been rebuilt. After a little bit of troubleshooting my truck has never shifted better. One day I'll have the time to pull apart the old one to diagnose it but for now that is not happening. You can see the uneven wear on one side of the front band. I don't understand it but it might have to do with the lack of beefiness the original had. In case anyone is wondering what that tool is in the background. Well that is my favorite tool, an eastwing hammer.

Name:  RAMFORUM1.jpg
Views: 3483
Size:  86.8 KB

Last edited by pure adrenaline; 11-06-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:41 AM
Steamersteve
Default 46re front slip in band

Hello,

This forum helped me consider a slip in front band for my 46re in a 2002 Dodge Durango. I didn't buy the band because they were sold out. So instead I purchase a regular new kevlar band for $20. I saw how the slip in bands were just cut and shortened on the band strut mount and then welded back together. Instead of making it like that I decide why not just put it in a vice and smash it over some to make it lower to slide around the drum. On the new band I took a good Craftsman small-medium screwdriver and bent the centering band tab forward some. If not the band strut mount won't bend down enough in the vice because it hits the centering tab first. Just bend it about half way forward. You only have to do one side of the band. I then bent the band strut mount over about halfway or more down in the vice. It worked perfectly in all of about 60 seconds in the vice. It also works perfect in the tranny. It will actually hold the strut better than factory. Less slack in the connection. I cut the old band off on the thin area with some yellow tin snips. Leaving part if one open air space vent circle on the middle thin part of the band. I then tied some weed trimmer line to the inner circle and pulled the old band out. Then untied it and used that to pull the new band back in with a wiggle or two pushing it in more than pulling as not to lose the connection . It takes all of 60 seconds. I just used the open air space holes on the new band as well. You put the new band now shorter strut mount side in first on the passenger side of the tranny and pull it in around the front drum.

As a side note. Be careful with your trimmer line and don't let it fall off of that front drum behind the drum in front of it or behind it. Keep it centered on the drum. I did get vice marks on the band material but didn't care. It will wear in eventually anyhow and it's only like 3% of the bands area. I guess I could have used a smooth flat plate and soft wrap on the band interior in the vice. It won't matter anyhow as the crush marks will wear in. :-) torqued it down to 72in lbs and backed it off like 2 3/4. Not 2 7/8. Common sense tells me that it will stretch being new. Plus bending it some to put it in around the drum makes it shorter until it warms up for a few drives stretching back out. I will recheck the band adjustment in a week or two. It works great again!! Yeeehaaa.

Last edited by Steamersteve; 09-22-2016 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 09-22-2016, 11:08 AM
pure adrenaline
Rookie

Great!! Hope it adds some life to your transmission. It did mine.

Quick Reply: 46RE 1-2 Shifting at 3000rpm