2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE 1-2 Shifting at 3000rpm

Old 09-18-2011, 11:41 AM
rkrieg3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE 1-2 Shifting at 3000rpm

Hello, I am new to this forum so I apologize if I missed the post about my issue. I did search through 11 pages and didnt find it.

I recently bought a 99 Ram 1500 Sport with 5.9L and 46RE trans. The guy before me treated it like crap. It had a bunch of problems which I quickly took care of after lowballing the hell out of him. However, now the trans doesnt shift into 2nd gear until 3000 rpm. If I'm going up a steep hill it wont shift until 4300rpm. The fluid has some sediment in it. The tranny has 194k on it.

Has anyone dealt with this? I hope I didnt get myself into a big problem here. The wife would kill me!! I have worked on my own cars for years. But auto trannies have always scared me a bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan

Old 09-18-2011, 01:19 PM
rkrieg3
Unhappy Adjusted the throttle valve cable/linkage

I found on Alldata how to adjust the linkage. I was able to bring the 1-2 shift point down to 2800 rpm however once I was in 3rd gear I attempted to accerelate by opening the throttle and the trans didn't downshift. It reved to 5000 rpm, at which point I liet off on the throttle for fear it would cause damage if it shifted. Please help.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:15 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2nd gear band is gone.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:36 AM
pure adrenaline
Rookie

Did you ever resolve this problem? I have an almost identical problem and am searching for an answer. Sorry for digging up an old thread but it's dificult finding anyone posting what repair worked and which didnt.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:41 AM
bigaaron
Professional

Have no fear bigaaron is here:
I know your frustration as I went through the exact same symptoms 2-3 weeks ago w/ 46RE. Exact to a tee.
My truck is a true work truck, not built to be pretty, but like you I don't do tranny's and lived in the fear of taking it to a trans shop because "if you have a problem with your trans you must need a rebuild" mentality.
I did not need a rebuild, even with a piece of snap ring found in the pan. Was as simple as Throttle Valve Cable adjustment. Read the entire thread and when putting the pan back on use sealant for ATF eventhough the manual says you do not need to.

check this out:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ift-issue.html

Last edited by bigaaron; 03-17-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:16 PM
pure adrenaline
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigaaron
Have no fear bigaaron is here:
I know your frustration as I went through the exact same symptoms 2-3 weeks ago w/ 46RE. Exact to a tee.
My truck is a true work truck, not built to be pretty, but like you I don't do tranny's and lived in the fear of taking it to a trans shop because "if you have a problem with your trans you must need a rebuild" mentality.
I did not need a rebuild, even with a piece of snap ring found in the pan. Was as simple as Throttle Valve Cable adjustment. Read the entire thread and when putting the pan back on use sealant for ATF eventhough the manual says you do not need to.

check this out:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ift-issue.html
Thanks for that link, it looks just like my problem now.
I like the plan: "fluid and filter (will use mopar atf w/ local retailer filter)
throttle valve cable check and adjustment
replace governor solenoid and pressure transducer
adjust the bands"

My first problem is autozones torque wrenches only cover 120-940 inch pounds. They have loaners after forking over a 50 dollar bill. I'll wait until I get inside to see how loose they are.

So, I picked up the gasket and filter kit and I'll wait until I get her opened up before getting the governor parts and torque wrench. My fear would be I see lots of metal which might indicate a rebuild. This is the second dodge transmission for me. The first transmission I spent $350.00 on solenoids, gaskets, fluid, speed sensors and the od solenoids before I gave up and sold the truck.(different symptoms)

Since it's st. patricks day I'm counting on a little luck once I get the pan down.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:30 PM
bigaaron
Professional

dont forget to take some photos of the dirty pan. Alot of guys on here can give some diagnosis just from that. I used rock auto for the WIX filter kit. The others suppliers you can see from the post. Also I would look at the youtube videos from Cascade Transmission- they are truly insightful, but the best part is all this can be done with the trans still lin the truck. Last note - the front band can be adjusted without removal of the pan. My rear was in spec.
if you live near a Harbor Freight their t wrenches are inexspensive, but make sure you get inch pounds and not foot pounds.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ench-2696.html

Old 03-17-2013, 01:34 PM
bigaaron
Professional

dont forget to follow the links in my post - it will point the way for band and tv cable adjustments.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:46 PM
pure adrenaline
Rookie

Originally Posted by bigaaron
dont forget to follow the links in my post - it will point the way for band and tv cable adjustments.
Thank you BIGAARON, I got the pan down and have lots of very small slivers of metal on the magnet. The biggest surprise is the front band looseness. I can lift it off the piston about an inch to an inch and a half. I hope that slop can be adjusted out of it. I will spend some time tommorow looking for problems with the valve body and see if I can adjust that much of the front band. I will take a picture later of the magnet so I can get an opinion about it being to much or not.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:55 PM
pure adrenaline
Rookie

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 46RE 1-2 Shifting at 3000rpm