2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mopar Performance Double Roller Timing Chain/Gears?

Old 09-20-2011, 01:22 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Mopar Performance Double Roller Timing Chain/Gears?

Does anyone have any experience with the Mopar Performance double roller timing chain/gear set (Mopar P/N P5249267)? The mechanicals are all stock and pretty darn likely to stay that way until rebuild time, so what I'm after is a set that I won't have to see until then. I'm not going racing, so I don't need cool window stickers or gearhead buzz words, just stout parts that'll keep their shape for a long time.

Thanks friends, neighbors, and assorted shady characters!

Old 09-20-2011, 01:35 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes I am using those parts, nice parts, well made, quite, I have about 20K miles on them so far, and I can say that there is no stretch. My motor is apart at this time for head work and cam change.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Yes I am using those parts, nice parts, well made, quite, I have about 20K miles on them so far, and I can say that there is no stretch. My motor is apart at this time for head work and cam change.
Thanks!

Hey, while I've got your eyeballs: How are you liking those Gibson headers?

Old 09-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Novarider
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the price on the chrysler timing set? Cheaper or more expensive than other double roller sets?

Old 09-20-2011, 11:12 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Novarider
What's the price on the chrysler timing set? Cheaper or more expensive than other double roller sets?
They're generally less expensive than other good quality sets, which is why they caught my eye. The set is $62.95 at Summit, which ain't half bad.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:53 AM
merc225hp
Champion

They are cheaper at your dealer I got mine for $52.00. As for the Gibson's they have not given me any trouble in over 5 years of use and they look like they will last another 20 years. No leaks, no cracks, re torque once and have never looked back. I also like the Mopar performance gaskets over any I have used including Felpro.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:17 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

They are cheaper at your dealer I got mine for $52.00.
It'd end up costing me more. The trip to the nearest dealer costs me about $20 in fuel, and if I take the wife along it'll cost me lunch and a shopping trip, too.

As for the Gibson's they have not given me any trouble in over 5 years of use and they look like they will last another 20 years. No leaks, no cracks, re torque once and have never looked back.
I'd expect Gibson's quality to be very good. I've got one of their (Swept Side Single) cat-backs and like it so much that when it eventually goes south on me I'm going to upgrade to the stainless version. What would you guesstimate those headers did for your power and economy, if you don't mind my asking/being a pain in the ***?

Old 09-20-2011, 01:32 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you talking about head gaskets or exhaust manifold gaskets?

Also did you install new exhaust manifold bolts or not?

Old 09-20-2011, 02:06 PM
merc225hp
Champion

I saw a increase in gas mileage and an increase in both hp and tq, how much is hard to say but enough to feel it and see it with the money saved on gas. The nice thing about the Gibson's is that it did not make the truck much louder than it was. All header gaskets and bolts that I used are Gibson's that came with the headers, I will be reusing the header gaskets and bolts as they are still in great shape. This is "not" something I would normally do, but they are fine for reuse this time.

The Mopar performance gaskets I use everywhere I can on the motor, heads, intake, valve cover, water pump, 90% all Mopar P. just not the headers.

Last edited by merc225hp; 09-20-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion

I saw a increase in gas mileage and an increase in both hp and tq, how much is hard to say but enough to feel it and see it with the money saved on gas.
That's great news. Thanks!

The nice thing about the Gibson's is that it did not make the truck much louder than it was.
That's good news, too. I'd rather listen to my wife than my exhaust. Most of the time, anyway.

All header gaskets and bolts that I used are Gibson's that came with the headers, I will be reusing the header gaskets and bolts as they are still in great shape.
More good news!

Thanks! I appreciate your time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mopar Performance Double Roller Timing Chain/Gears?