2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Converting my 99 ram to 4 wheel drive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 06:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Got a good welder? Drill? Some rather serious bits? A rather complete set of tools?

Another member on here did a leaf spring conversion on his 2wd.... theres a thread around here somewhere...

Old 10-12-2011, 06:54 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its called"beefeys back" or something like that iirc

Old 01-25-2015, 08:43 AM
Asj127
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont listen to these guys

I had two trucks one a 98 dodge 2500 4 wheel drive regular box extended cab (blown motor) and a 99 1500 2 wheel drive long box extended cab...... Ok so be discouraged in this project I spent a total of $2400 on this project and that's with the cost of both vehicles and parts one truck cost me $1000 and the other $1100 so I spent $300 in the end on fluids and random little stuff and took me and my buddy a weekend to do this first we put trucks side by side in the shop took a bunch of measurements then got the torch and started hacking off parts and brackets for all the suspension and mounting brackets (4wd frame toast in the end) but after cutting off all brackets with a torch cutting out part of the frame with it on each one so when they came off I would hand them over to my buddy and he would clean them up by grinding them back flat and take off old welds to just like new. Same thing to the 2wd truck got all the old 2wd mounting brackets and stuff cut out grinder smooth now get all your parts and peaces together and start welding them all back on checking measurements a lot and just tack weld till later my rear end leaf Springs for the 2500 and brackets matches right up to the 1500 frame so that was just all bolt back together... I can keep going on and on about it but basically measure everything a lot and put it all back together I didn't need to order new suspension brackets or anything like that I used everything off the trucks again just be careful and keep stuff nice about all I had to do was get a special u joint for the rear driveshaft to match up and switch the parts with driveshaft splines and transfer case other then that everything plugged in off factor harness on the 2wd truck to make it 4wd light even comes on when I have it engaged... Oh gotta cut a whole for shifter in the floor too but it's really not a hard project me and my buddy ain't experts just tinkerers while basic welding experience and only took us about 25 hours to do

Quick Reply: Converting my 99 ram to 4 wheel drive?