2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Grade 8 or Torque-to-yield for intake manifold and plenum?

Old 10-27-2011, 01:13 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by grox
This is an awesome description of bolt tightening theory: http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Arti...uetoangle.aspx
Originally Posted by grox
Is a thread locker recommended with the factory bolts?
The article you linked addresses that...

Unless specified otherwise, 30W motor oil is the standard lubricant for automotive fasteners. If we want to achieve loads similar to the OEMs. we need to lubricate our fasteners with 30W oil. Don’t forget that underhead and thread friction both need to be controlled, so lubricate both areas. In the case of head bolts going into the water jacket, the sealer on the threads will provide the lubrication needed, so just apply oil to the underside of the head of the bolt. Super lubricants may actually get you in trouble by relieving too much friction, leading to over-tightening.
btw...its a great article. Good find!

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I didn't use any, and the various manuals didn't call for it either.
I would suspect that everything is by default coated in 30W or similar to explain why its not stated.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, unless future plans entail removing and dismantling the plenum on a regular basis, I would find someone who can weld aluminum and have the bottom plate welded in place.

Problem solved.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

They better well know how to TIG weld. Size the fillet weld for the thickness of the plate in addition to the proper heat input of that thin plate to the CAST manifold. Oh...and therefore, no need for the gasket.

I'm not saying its a good or bad idea, just saying that adding a joint like that is not trivial.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:02 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just JB weld it and be done.

Old 10-27-2011, 03:06 PM
John D in CT
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
They better well know how to TIG weld. Size the fillet weld for the thickness of the plate in addition to the proper heat input of that thin plate to the CAST manifold. Oh...and therefore, no need for the gasket.

I'm not saying its a good or bad idea, just saying that adding a joint like that is not trivial.
No, not trivial, but I think it's totally doable for any competent welder of aluminum. I've done a little research and welding cast to plate doesn't seem like much of a problem, and I don't think the operating temperatures involved present much of a problem with the two types of aluminum expanding very much. The biggest challenge I see is making sure the intake is very free of oil that could cause porosity in the weld. Might have to be burned off a bit with a torch first.

Looks like it could be welded with TIG, MIG, or even stick, but TIG is probably the most common. And 1/4" isn't all that thin; that's plenty to work with.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/arc...p/t-33887.html

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...hp?t-1596.html

http://www.keytometals.com/Article12.htm

Last edited by John D in CT; 10-27-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grade 8 or Torque-to-yield for intake manifold and plenum?