Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 5.2 water in oil?

Old 11-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Grand Champion

Vehicle: 95 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 SLT Laramie 4x4
Send a message via Yahoo to 95RAM360
Default 96 5.2 water in oil?

my buddy's got a 96 1500 2wd 5.2L, it was my dads old truck, never beat on...has 145,xxx and the oil was all white when we checked it...just did an oil change 500 miles ago, and no water was in old oil.

check the dipstick and the oil was white, wiped checked again, and repeated about 5-6 times...now theres no water and looks like clean oil....started it, checked it, and there was a small amount of white on bottom of stick. wiped a few times till there was nothingleft.....let it run for about 5minutes checked again,and very very minimal white on dipstick...

anyone have this type of problem before? could it be intake gaskets? or is this a possible head problem?...we thought it might be getting into the tube somehow, has anyone had the dipstick o-ring leak? we cant find any leaks anywhere
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
1995 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Laramie 4x4, US Wheels, Courser AT2 tires, Audio System, Rebuilt Transmission, 4.10 gears, Hughes Plenum, Kegger Mod, 8.5mm Spark wires, Bed Rails, Side Steps, Truck box, New Timing Chain, Hollow CAT, Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler, New Harmonic Balancer, New Transfer Case
Old 11-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Legend

Vehicle: 1999 Ram 1500, 5.2L auto

Does coolant look oily?
Old 11-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Champion

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9l 4x4

Yep, I've seen the dipstick tube o-rings leak, allowing water/melted snow to sneak in there. If'n it was mine I'd snake my ten dollar handy dandy fluid transfer pump intake tube all the way down to the bottom of the oil pan (stone cold engine) and draw some out into a glass jar, let it sit a bit, and see what it looks like. And if you can get your hands on some water finder, so much the better.

A bad attitude and a Mega Viper.
Dash isn't cracked, steering doesn't wander, headlights are awesome, has good heat.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500

Check the underside of the oil fill cap as well, and have a look inside the valve cover while its off. A little bit of water in the oil isn't unusual, a lot can be a bad sign. Is coolant disappearing as well?
Old 11-06-2011, 05:50 PM