2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rough highway, strange rpm jumps, no throttle response.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 04:02 PM
BrendonM
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rough highway, strange rpm jumps, no throttle response.

Hey guys! I have a 2001 dodge ram 1500 with the 5.2L V8. RWD. Auto trans.

I have a problem when on the highway. She drives just fine on simple roads and your average city route. While driving on the highway. I reach about speed limit. Maybe 55-70mph. My truck instantly HATES the throttle lol. I rev my truck 2,500-3000 rpm and it instantly drops down to the little line RIGHT before the 2,000 mark. I don’t change the throttle position at all. Hell, I even press it further in and no repsonse at all. Sits at 2,000 unless I really give into it. When release the throttle and go back on it. It’s normal then right back to 2,000. For more information, when doing this I can audibly hear my exhaust get quiet. Very little sound. And again, I’m not changing my throttle position. Only way it works is if I pump it, give into it, or release and get back on it.

i can’t find this issue anywhere online and from what I have found and read it could be a huge number of things. From internal transmission issues to a simple sensor.

I can answer any questions about the issue just shoot them my way.

the truck has a brand new tune up. However, I switched from Copper to Plat plugs and I read somewhere that these trucks actually really like the copper plugs.

I’ve also read it could be a catalytic converter..

not sure !

Build progress List
- Flowmaster super 44. 3in to 2.5in dual pipe rear exit
- K&N Cold air intake
- Edelbrock 180° stat
- She got some royal purple high mileage 10W30
- New distributor, rotor, wires, and NGK Platinum plugs
- New windshield wipers
- eBay crystal style headlights (installing soon, not LED)

Old 01-11-2023, 06:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Yeah, these trucks really don't care for the rare earth plugs. Put some good coppers in there.

Might be the cat.....

Old 01-11-2023, 06:42 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 300 Likes on 284 Posts

Change out those spark plugs back to copper style plugs. The truck doesn't tend to work well with platinum plugs. Also, the motor may be running way too cold. The unmodified motor runs best at 192 degrees. If you have a scanner, see what the engine thinks the temperature is, as this affects the tune of the motor. Lastly, check for vacuum leaks around the throttle body, especially at the base gasket. Spray some carb cleaner around the base of the throttle body and see if the motor changes the way it runs.

Old 01-11-2023, 06:56 PM
BrendonM
Professional

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Change out those spark plugs back to copper style plugs. The truck doesn't tend to work well with platinum plugs. Also, the motor may be running way too cold. The unmodified motor runs best at 192 degrees. If you have a scanner, see what the engine thinks the temperature is, as this affects the tune of the motor. Lastly, check for vacuum leaks around the throttle body, especially at the base gasket. Spray some carb cleaner around the base of the throttle body and see if the motor changes the way it runs.
Okay, gonna switch back to coppers. My engine runs at 178-185° I bought a 180 stat because the video I watched used that and i was… new and didn’t know about other temp thermostats lol, don’t scold me. After doing research later after already changing my stat I realized I could’ve gotten the same one but just 190 or the 200 one or whatever.

ill check on those Vaccum leaks this weekend. Thank you.

Actually, i had engine code for “engine cold too long”. That’s why I did my thermostat change. The engine wasn’t even reaching 150. I don’t have the code anymore, wait nvm yes I do, it’s in “stored codes”

Isn’t 180° still low? That wouldn’t change with my thermostat right? Isn’t 180 just when the thermostat opens?

Last edited by BrendonM; 01-11-2023 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendonM
Okay, gonna switch back to coppers. My engine runs at 178-185° I bought a 180 stat because the video I watched used that and i was… new and didn’t know about other temp thermostats lol, don’t scold me. After doing research later after already changing my stat I realized I could’ve gotten the same one but just 190 or the 200 one or whatever.

ill check on those Vaccum leaks this weekend. Thank you.

Actually, i had engine code for “engine cold too long”. That’s why I did my thermostat change. The engine wasn’t even reaching 150. I don’t have the code anymore, wait nvm yes I do, it’s in “stored codes”

Isn’t 180° still low? That wouldn’t change with my thermostat right? Isn’t 180 just when the thermostat opens?
The engine will try and run at the temp of your thermostat. The PCM also expects it to be right around 195. If it isnt, it takes measure to try and get it there, if it can't, it'll set the code. And yes, the 180 stat will set it, eventually. Swap it out for the stock 195, call it a day. Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to clear all codes, and history codes as well.

Old 01-11-2023, 09:14 PM
BrendonM
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The engine will try and run at the temp of your thermostat. The PCM also expects it to be right around 195. If it isnt, it takes measure to try and get it there, if it can't, it'll set the code. And yes, the 180 stat will set it, eventually. Swap it out for the stock 195, call it a day. Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to clear all codes, and history codes as well.

Will do, Thank you!

Quick Reply: Rough highway, strange rpm jumps, no throttle response.