2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I want a cam!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:32 PM
sinus19
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool I want a cam!

sup guys! im back!!! okay so i have decided that i want a cam
the purpose is for pure performance, I wont be hauling anything on a daily bases or anything like that. Honestly i rarely use the bed or hitch. I do use the Beast everyday and travel quite often. SO, my questions are:

How big of a cam can i go with the stock valve train and what would be my gains to the rear (roughly)?
How big of a cam can i go with MODIFIED valve train and what would be my gains to the rear (roughly)??
which one would be the best for Mid-High end powerband?
Keep in mind the mods that i have (signature)

In other words, I want a BIG NASTY cam but yet be able to drive the beast everyday to school and to visit my family who are 2hrs out.

thanks guys and happy holidays

Last edited by sinus19; 12-29-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

.480 is max lift with stock heads. Changing springs will get you into .500 territory. Trouble is, those are gonna have some pretty stiff seat pressures (which will be required with a knarly cam) and the two piece valves in these engines won't stand that for very long.

If you want big mid-range/top end power....

Keep the intake manifold you have. Good choice.

Replace the heads. Get some Odessa/Clearwater 2.02 heads. Get some port work done.... even gasket matching would help. These heads have thicker decks, so, are less prone to cracking than the stockers. Have one-piece valves, and can be ordered with a variety of valve springs to match you cam choice. Flow a HELL of a lot better than stock... and are less than a grand for a pair. (as opposed to a grand for ONE from anyone else.....)

It's a truck, its big, its heavy..... pick a cam that the power band STARTS at NO HIGHER than 1500-2000 rpm. Either that, or get a hellishly high-stall torque converter. (trouble with those is though, they aren't real street friendly.) If you have a manual trans, this becomes even more important. (unless, of course, you LIKE changing clutches......)

Torque converter with a stall around 2000 or so. (plus or minus 250 RPM) Don't cheap out on the t/c. You will hate yourself if you do. (and get to rebuild your trans to boot.)

Custom tune from hemifever. (a hundred bucks, since you already have the tuner from him?)

Might need a wideband O2 to dial it all in. Might need meaner injectors, but, I don't think so.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:40 AM
sinus19
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet! yea if they're under a grand than those heads sound good! would you have a link on them or website? I'll give them a call. thanks

Old 12-30-2011, 09:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

I think these will do ya, verify with Odessa that the magnum intake will bolt to these.

There is also these guys, a bit more expensive though. Still, two for less than the price of one most other places.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:31 PM
dodgeman2289
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just want a max of 480 custome ground for my 1.7rrs and id be happy