2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4 hole fuel injector comparison video

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:05 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 hole fuel injector comparison video

I'm getting finished up on my 5.9 engine , and soon ready for install . Just waiting on the headers and tuner . I was going to just use the OEM injectors as they are rated above the application , but , after some research , I found this compelling video which kinda got me sold on a 4 hole injector upgrade .

Thoughts ?

Old 02-28-2015, 08:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Not sure you would notice much difference. Sure, the four-hole atomize the fuel a bit better, but, chrysler's idea was to fire the pencil beam of fuel at the back of the nice, toasty warm, intake valve. and it basically got flash-boiled......

Now, simply having NEW injectors, that had some semblance of flow balancing done on them, certainly wouldn't hurt. Regardless of how many holes they have.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:00 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The biggest restriction on these engines is the intake. Don't really have any problems with getting the fuel there. Just runs out of air real quick!

Old 02-28-2015, 02:39 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I seen this video on another forum. They show the spry pattern but no real data to back up their claim. Lets see some dyno results comparing the two on the same motor!

Old 02-28-2015, 03:28 PM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Who's paying for the dyno runs ? lol .

Intake is M1

Chrysler did a few things that needed improvements . My 32ft carb'd BBC motorhome gets 10mpg , truck is doing only 13mpg and no issues . It's too much !

I just did a little experiment . Using a spray bottle , I streamed gas , then misted it across an open flame . The mist was more powerful a bang it seemed to me . The spray didn't burn as fast and hit the floor before it was burnt .

After this , I think it's apparent there is something to this . I'll give my opinions after the install , yea , or nay .

Old 02-28-2015, 03:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Exactly. Liquid gasoline doesn't burn. Gasoline vapor, however, does. That's the whole idea behind any 'improvements' you get from better atomization from the injector. As I said before, dodge 'worked around' that issue, by using the back side of the hot intake valve to vaporize the gas. So, will you see any improvements with different injectors? I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:34 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't some have issues after installing them? Hit or miss?

Old 02-28-2015, 04:50 PM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Don't some have issues after installing them? Hit or miss?
This comes from using "used" injectors .

Old 02-28-2015, 05:44 PM
onegoodmason
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Exactly. Liquid gasoline doesn't burn. Gasoline vapor, however, does. That's the whole idea behind any 'improvements' you get from better atomization from the injector. As I said before, dodge 'worked around' that issue, by using the back side of the hot intake valve to vaporize the gas. So, will you see any improvements with different injectors? I wouldn't hold my breath.
I'm just hoping to make it as efficient as possible more than anything . Can`t hurt the MPG , that`s for sure . But , no worries , these will get a fair review . If I don`t think they are worth it , I`ll be the first to say so .

I appreciate your opinion ! , and others too !

Old 02-28-2015, 05:53 PM
ClubCab5.9
Professional

Don't know where heyou reads this stuff at(cause we all know its not from working on his truck)b/c it is incorrect. V8 fuel injectors fire at 17.5 degrees AFTER top dead center (v8 mark on damper/FSM sync set)with the fuel sync at 0. the cam starts to open the intake valve 7-13 degrees BEFORE top center(5.9 pending year)thus the valve is near full open @ 17.5 ATDC. Near full open allows the intake charge to ram the mix into the chamber at a higher RPM. The reason for the stock injectors is at low RPM the intake velocity is low thus the pencil stream shoots/forces the un-atomized fuel into the chamber. With the magnum head design this is not very efficient way to introduce the fuel. What design are the mag heads? Any thoughts or ideas.

Quick Reply: 4 hole fuel injector comparison video